For Toby, a Spaniel mix, a round roast bone became a bone of contention when it got stuck around his lower jaw.
Dennis Bullaro, Toby's owner, said his family had had a round roast with a round bone in it for dinner one day and had given the bone to Toby to play with.
"He would just have a ball with this bone," Bullaro said. "He played around for over two months with the bone before this happened."
One Sunday, Toby was playing with the bone when it became wedged over his lower jaw. Although Bullaro tried to ease it off, it would not budge. The bone had ended up caught between some of Toby's teeth and Toby had to be taken to the emergency animal clinic in Omaha, Neb., where Bullaro lived.
"The vet said: 'Well, we're going to have to saw it off,'" Bullaro recalled. "How are you going to go about doing that? They put him under and sawed it off with a hack saw."
Scooter, a Siamese cat, ended up in the veterinary clinic with what looked like seizures but were actually the result of a needle poking part of her brain.
"I guess she had swallowed the needle a couple of weeks before after I'd hemmed some pants," said her owner, Margaret Stedt.
Scooter had been playing in Stedt's home on Memorial Day when she began rolling her head back and foaming at the mouth with blood in the foam.
Initially, doctors thought Scooter had developed a seizure disorder, but medications did not work. Scooter was sent to a neurologist in Irvine, Calif., near where Stedt lived in San Clemente and while she was prepped for an MRI, Stedt said the assistant felt the needle in Scooter's mouth.
The needle had pushed through Scooter's throat to contact her brain, which was causing the seizure-like activity. Scooter was anesthetized and the needle was removed with no permanent damage done.
"Another centimeter and she would have died. ... I think we're very fortunate that they caught it when they did," Stedt said. "Stupid things like leaving needle and thread out -- things we have around the the house we don't think about -- could be devastating to any cat."