The Occupational Safety and Health Administration sets safe levels for carbon monoxide in the workplace at 35 part per million for eight-hour exposure. But some carbon monoxide alarms only sound at 400 ppm, according to Bishop, who spent 20 years helping the military conform to requirements by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Most experts credit these detectors with saving lives, but, says Bishop, "Good grief, they are worthless."
When patients show signs of low-level poisoning, they are often dismissed by emergency rooms as having the flu. As in Daniel's case, they are rarely tested, according to Bishop.
As a result of Conrad's and Rodgers' efforts, Utah's State Sen. Margaret Dayton will introduce legislation. "I am hopeful that we can inform health-care providers about this issue and promote testing for carbon monoxide," she told ABCNews.com.
Rodgers has created a Web site for more information on the case at CarbonMonoxideAwareness.org.
Conrad's neighbors, who also live in manufactured homes, have taken preliminary steps to close off their intake valves, though none has reported cases of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Many of them supported the Conrads during their trial last year and have accompanied them to public hearings to push for more attention to the issue.
That, say the Conrads, might have helped Daniel get better faster and helped the family avoid the child abuse charges that nearly tore the family apart.
"I absolutely believe that was what was wrong with the child," said neighbor Greenhalgh, a father of three. "But Daniel looks like a different child now."