Achieving the perfect look for you doesn’t have to be hard. In the latest installment of its Fast Fashion Fixes series, “GMA” is sharing quick and easy style tips that the stars use to make themselves appear taller than they really are.
Celebrity stylist Micaela Erlanger, who works with stars including Lupita Nyong’o and Olivia Munn, says the secret is in the fit.
“Where your clothes hit matters,” Erlanger told “GMA.”
She said pants should hit just above the ankle, skirts right above the knee, and jackets right at the wrist to help the wearer look longer and leaner.
Mary Kate McGrath, the editor in chief of the online lifestyle publication PureWow, appeared live on “GMA" to show simple styling swaps on three different outfits that will lend people the illusion of more height.
1. Sporty spring look: Shorter people who want to wear spring’s new floral look should avoid a midi skirt, which can make them appear even shorter because the skirt's hem falls at mid-calf. Opt for a mini-skirt instead, as the display of more skin creates the illusion of longer legs. Pair it with pointy flats, which also elongate the leg line.
2. Work wear: Straight-legged black pants are fine for work, but they won’t add to the illusion of height unless you wear heels. Opt for cropped pants -- paired with a V-neck top – to display a peek at the ankles; this tricks the eye into thinking that the wearer’s legs are too long for the pants. Capris are not recommended as they hit the wearer in mid-calf, actually giving the illusion of shorter legs. Pair the pants with a V-neck top; the upside-down triangle creates a high focal point and gives the illusion of a longer slimmer upper body. Avoid sandals with ankle straps, as the straps actually interrupt the illusion of the leg’s length.
3. A night on the town: Skinny jeans may be a great item, but they don’t do much for shorter people. The same goes for horizontal stripes, which make the body appear wider. To look taller, opt for flared, high-waisted jeans, which lengthen the body’s appearance from hip to toe. Pair them with a halter top, which accents strong shoulders. McGrath
4. Wardrobe must-haves: Some must-haves for the short girl's wardrobe include cropped pants, pointed-toe flats, a small top-handle lady bag, V-neck blouse and a cropped jacket that hits at your waist (not your hips).
5. Single Color: Wearing all one color is a clever way to enhance your body by creating a vertical line. This distracts the eye, and often gives you the appearance of being taller.
6. Smart Accessories: Keeping your accessories appropriately scaled to your body size is always a smart move. Every time you cause the eye to take in width, you reduce the amount of height it takes in.
7. Cuffed Pants: Cuffing your boyfriend and straight-leg jeans is also a key trick. The sweet spot where your pants should land is about a half inch above your joint -- the smallest part of your leg.