Jan. 3, 2013— -- I'm really excited for 2013. We had a great time on New Year's, celebrating it at my godmother's house, who also happens to be my neighbor. It was a big potluck. The party was even bigger than our Christmas one because we invited extended family this year.
My cousins Vanessa and Freddy, who are DJ's, were in charge of the music. They played a little bit of everything, from old-school hip-hop to merengue. We definitely do the grape-eating every year, too – that's one of our traditions. When it hits midnight, everybody always hugs each other and we try to stay up as late as possible.
Instead of yearly resolutions, I like to set goals for myself every few months. So to start the year off on a good note, here are some things I want to accomplish.
2013, let's do this!
1. Finish my album as soon as possible. We are closer than ever to finding the first single! I feel amazing about it. Mid to end of January I'll definitely have something out.
2. Hit 200,000 followers on Twitter in the first part of the year, and then maybe 500,000 by the end of the year. How cool would that be?!
3. Be healthier. When you're healthy you have the energy to do the things you want to do. There's a big difference between when you eat McDonald's and then you want to do something after to when you have some good, homemade dinner and then go do something. Luckily, I'm pretty good at cooking.
4. Perfect my Spanish so that it's universal Spanish instead of just Mexican dialect.
5. Make the bonds with my family even tighter. I spend so much time with my family already and I'm so close with them, but it's never too late to make your bonds even closer. I want to find the perfect balance between how much I work and how much I see them. Even though I live in the same house as my siblings, I go to the studio and they have school and then homework so our schedules don't always match up. Just because we're brothers and sisters doesn't mean we're always going to get along, but I want to put more effort into making the relationships better.
6. Learn how to play the drums or the piano. I already play the guitar so I'd love to learn a new instrument.
7. Be a better listener. I have this thing and I don't do it intentionally but I can cut people off sometimes when they're speaking. It's been a problem for a while, especially when it comes to my parents. I won't let them finish their sentences, like if my mom is telling a story and I know the story, too, I'll cut her off and tell the story myself. When people do it to me, it gets under my skin, so I have to work on that.
8. Be more patient. Being a teenager, you want to get an answer of yes or no right away, so I'm going to work on this, too.
9. Meeting Justin Bieber in person. Until then, I'll be applying the life lessons he taught me.
-As told to Angie Romero
Read our celeb contributor Becky G's latest blog post about how she celebrated Christmas and her Best-of Picks for 2012.