— -- She's not just one of the most photographed women in the world, Angelina Jolie is also one of the most quoted.
From her wild child days in Hollywood to U.N. goodwill ambassador to single motherhood to married mother of six, Jolie has kept us fascinated all along the way.
In honor of her 40th birthday today, we have rounded up 40 of her most memorable quotes. Check them out below:
On her past:
1. "When other little girls wanted to be ballet dancers I kind of wanted to be a vampire."
2. "I've been reckless, but I'm not a rebel without a cause."
3. "I went through a period when I felt my film characters were having more fun than I was. It might partly explain why I ended up tattooed or doing certain extreme things in my life."
4. "I didn't die young. So I am very lucky. There are other artists and people that didn't survive certain things... people can imagine that I did the most dangerous, and I did the worst... for many reasons, I shouldn't be here."
5. "I always felt caged, closed in, like I was punching at things that weren't there. I always had too much energy for the room I was in."
6. "I was the punk outsider who nobody messed with. I was fearless. At 16, I graduated and moved out."
7. "If I didn't have my films as an outlet for all the different sides of me, I would probably be locked up."
8. "I don't see the point of doing an interview unless you're going to share the things you learn in life and the mistakes you make. So to admit that I'm extremely human and have done some dark things I don't think makes me unusual or unusually dark. I think it actually is the right thing to do, and I'd like to think it's the nice thing to do."
9."I'm not somebody that thinks about destiny and fate, but I don't walk away from it when something unfolds."
10. "I like everything. Boyish girls, girlish boys, the heavy and the skinny. Which is a problem when I'm walking down the street."
11. "I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess."
12. "It's my husband's blood...which is beautiful to me, you know? Some people like diamonds around their necks or things like that. I think that's beautiful. And it makes me, it's his life." -- while married to Billy Bob Thornton
On her life with Brad Pitt:
13. "I’m still a bad girl. I still have that side of me...it’s just in its place now...it belongs to Brad. Or...our adventures."
14. "Not a lot of people get to see a movie where their parents fell in love. What’s going to be funny is when they think Mom and Dad are a little bit cool. Because right now, we’re not cool Mom and Dad."
15. "I am very lucky with Brad. He is a real gentleman, but he is also a real man’s man. He’s got the wonderful balance of being an extraordinary, great, loving father, a very, very intelligent man and physically he’s a real man."
16. "[Brad] has expanded my life in ways I never imagined. We built a family. He is not just the love my life, he is my family. I hold that very dear. I suppose what I’ve learned from Brad is to be able to have the kind of family whose happiness and well-being comes before your own. I’m very very grateful to have such a loving family, and I wouldn’t have that without him."
17. "Sometimes I think my husband is so amazing that I don't know why he's with me. I don't know whether I'm good enough. But if I make him happy, then I'm everything I want to be."
18. "We’ve explained to them (our children) that our commitment when we decided to start a family was the greatest commitment you could possibly have. Once you have six children...you’re committed." -- before she married Pitt
19. "It's such a beautiful and sexy quality in a man when he takes his responsibilities as a father very seriously. I still get very emotional when I watch Brad play with the children -- he is so naturally devoted and joyful around them."