-- She's not just one of the most photographed women in the world, Angelina Jolie is also one of the most quoted.
From her wild child days in Hollywood to U.N. goodwill ambassador to single motherhood to married mother of six, Jolie has kept us fascinated all along the way.
In honor of her 40th birthday today, we have rounded up 40 of her most memorable quotes. Check them out below:
On her past:
1. "When other little girls wanted to be ballet dancers I kind of wanted to be a vampire."
2. "I've been reckless, but I'm not a rebel without a cause."
3. "I went through a period when I felt my film characters were having more fun than I was. It might partly explain why I ended up tattooed or doing certain extreme things in my life."
4. "I didn't die young. So I am very lucky. There are other artists and people that didn't survive certain things... people can imagine that I did the most dangerous, and I did the worst... for many reasons, I shouldn't be here."
5. "I always felt caged, closed in, like I was punching at things that weren't there. I always had too much energy for the room I was in."
6. "I was the punk outsider who nobody messed with. I was fearless. At 16, I graduated and moved out."
7. "If I didn't have my films as an outlet for all the different sides of me, I would probably be locked up."
8. "I don't see the point of doing an interview unless you're going to share the things you learn in life and the mistakes you make. So to admit that I'm extremely human and have done some dark things I don't think makes me unusual or unusually dark. I think it actually is the right thing to do, and I'd like to think it's the nice thing to do."
9."I'm not somebody that thinks about destiny and fate, but I don't walk away from it when something unfolds."
10. "I like everything. Boyish girls, girlish boys, the heavy and the skinny. Which is a problem when I'm walking down the street."
11. "I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess."
12. "It's my husband's blood...which is beautiful to me, you know? Some people like diamonds around their necks or things like that. I think that's beautiful. And it makes me, it's his life." -- while married to Billy Bob Thornton
On her life with Brad Pitt:
13. "I’m still a bad girl. I still have that side of me...it’s just in its place now...it belongs to Brad. Or...our adventures."
14. "Not a lot of people get to see a movie where their parents fell in love. What’s going to be funny is when they think Mom and Dad are a little bit cool. Because right now, we’re not cool Mom and Dad."
15. "I am very lucky with Brad. He is a real gentleman, but he is also a real man’s man. He’s got the wonderful balance of being an extraordinary, great, loving father, a very, very intelligent man and physically he’s a real man."
16. "[Brad] has expanded my life in ways I never imagined. We built a family. He is not just the love my life, he is my family. I hold that very dear. I suppose what I’ve learned from Brad is to be able to have the kind of family whose happiness and well-being comes before your own. I’m very very grateful to have such a loving family, and I wouldn’t have that without him."
17. "Sometimes I think my husband is so amazing that I don't know why he's with me. I don't know whether I'm good enough. But if I make him happy, then I'm everything I want to be."
18. "We’ve explained to them (our children) that our commitment when we decided to start a family was the greatest commitment you could possibly have. Once you have six children...you’re committed." -- before she married Pitt
19. "It's such a beautiful and sexy quality in a man when he takes his responsibilities as a father very seriously. I still get very emotional when I watch Brad play with the children -- he is so naturally devoted and joyful around them."
On being a mom:
20. "The great thing about having a bunch of kids is they just remind you that you're the person who takes them to go poop! That's who you are!"
21. "We want to make sure we don't build a family so big that we don't have absolutely enough time to raise them each really well. Children are clearly a commitment, a bigger commitment [than marriage]. It's for life."
22. "With my family, I'm trying to raise them to have respect for all people and make friends around the world and feel at home with the world and really live a truly global [life] because I think it's what forms them and it's really important to me."
23. "The center of my life is my kids. I woke up at 3 in the morning with four kids with jet lag and two babies. I put myself together for a few hours and go out. And then I go home. This is my job."
On being an actress and filmmaker:
24. "I always play women I would date."
25. "I'm in shock. And I'm so in love with my brother right now, he just held me and said he loved me." -- after winning the Oscar for best supporting actress
26. "I like to hide behind the characters I play. Despite the public perception, I am a very private person who has a hard time with the fame thing."
27. "I became an actress because my mom wanted me to become an actress. It took me until my mid-30s to realize I actually didn't. I actually wanted to write and direct and be more involved in politics and humanitarian issues.
On her work as a humanitarian:
28. "I have so much in my life. I want to be of value to the world."
29. "Without pain, there would be no suffering, without suffering we would never learn from our mistakes. To make it right, pain and suffering is the key to all windows, without it, there is no way of life."
30. "Wartime rape is a crime that thrives on silence and denial. We must send a message around the world that there is no disgrace in being a survivor of sexual violence, that the shame is on the aggressor."
31. "It is not enough to defend our values at home. We have to defend them here, in the camps and in the informal settlements across the Middle East, and in the ruined towns of Iraq and Syria."
32. "To be in any way a positive contribution, that's all anybody wants to be. It's all I've ever wanted to be. I wanted to be an artist, be a mother. You want to feel that in your life you've been of use, in whatever way that comes out."
33. "I don't see myself as beautiful, because I can see a lot of flaws. People have really odd opinions. They tell me I'm skinny, as if that's supposed to make me happy."
34. "I'm not a hugger. People make fun of me. It's something that I have a hard time with. If someone hugs me, I hold my breath. Snuggling, cuddling, hugging, crying -- all that stuff makes me very uncomfortable."
35. "Make bold choices and make mistakes. It's all those things that add up to the person you become."
36. "I've never lived my life in the opinion of others. I believe I'm a good person. I believe I'm a good mom. But that's for my kids to decide, not for the world."
37. "There's something about death that is comforting. The thought that you could die tomorrow frees you to appreciate your life now."
38. "Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of." -- after her double mastectomy
39. "I went through what I imagine thousands of other women have felt. I told myself to stay calm, to be strong, and that I had no reason to think I wouldn’t live to see my children grow up and to meet my grandchildren." -- after having her ovaries removed because of cancer fears
40. "I'm looking very much forward to growing older. I want to be an exhausted older woman but with a very full life behind me and one still going."
Happy Birthday Angelina!