JoJo Fletcher’s first night as “The Bachelorette” on Monday night was filled with men, alcohol and a surprise visitor.
Interested in ?Add as an interest to stay up to date on the latest news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
On the season premiere of the hit ABC reality series, JoJo, the runner-up on Ben Higgins’ season of "The Bachelor" earlier this year, welcomed more than two dozen suitors to the "Bachelorette" mansion.
The Texas real estate developer, 25, prepared herself by seeking advice from former "Bachelorette" stars Desiree Hartsock, Kaitlyn Bristowe and Ali Fedotowsky. The trio agreed that the men would be more nervous the first night than JoJo would be. Ali suggested that JoJo choose the guys she really likes, and ignore them for a week so she can learn more about the rest.
After JoJo made the trip to the mansion, the arrivals by the bachelors began. As usual, they were a mix of sweet and weird. Among the men who emerged from the limos:
- -- Former pro quarterback Jordan, a.k.a. the brother of Green Bay Packers star Aaron Rodgers. He pointed out to JoJo that his parents got engaged a few months after they met, and have been married for 36 years.
- -- Will brought note cards to read from during his introduction to JoJo, but he dropped them on the ground and mixed them up.
- -- Jonathan wore a kilt, but his get-up wasn’t as strange as that of Nick B., who was dressed as Santa Claus.
- -- Wells, a radio DJ, was accompanied by the R&B group All-4-One, who sang their hit “I Swear.”
- -- Luke rode in on a “unicorn” -- a white horse with a “horn” on its head.
Several of the men were feeling jittery around JoJo, so she initially found it challenging to make a meaningful connection. That changed during a one-on-one conversation with Jordan, with whom she later shared a romantic kiss -- after a very awkward and quick smooch with Will. Jordan ended up with the first impression rose.
The alcohol was flowing throughout the night, making things interesting for JoJo. Daniel, a Canadian, drank a little too much -- he poked another bachelor’s belly button, then striped down to his underwear and jumped in the pool.
As if that wasn’t uncomfortable enough, JoJo was interrupted by a couple of the men while trying to do on-camera interviews.
At the start of the rose ceremony, JoJo was interrupted by a special guest -- Jake Pavelka, the former “Bachelor” whose engagement to Vienna Girardi in the 2010 season fell apart quickly. But he wasn't aiming to join the competition and turn his longtime friendship with JoJo into something more. He pulled her aside and told her, "I want love...for you," before offering advice.
With that out of the way, the rose ceremony resumed, with "Santa Claus" and Daniel among those getting roses. Six men were eliminated, including Jonathan the kilt wearer.
The new "Bachelorette" season continues next Monday night on ABC.