'Friends' Turns 20: The 20 Most Memorable Quotes From the Series
Watch the 20 funniest clips of Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Chandler, Ross and Joey!
— -- Twenty years ago today, "Friends" premiered and the world met Ross, Rachel, Monica, Chandler, Joey and Phoebe, played by David Schwimmer, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Matthew Perry, Matt LeBlanc and Lisa Kudrow, respectively. In the end, the characters proved to be some of TV's most memorable, speaking some of the most quotable lines.
Here are a few of our favorites: What's yours?
1. "How you doin'?!" - Joey
2. "We were on a break!" - Ross
3. "Just so you know, it's not that common, it doesn't happen to every guy, and it is a big deal!" - Rachel
4. "Smelly cat, smel-ly cat, what are they feeding you? Smelly cat, smel-ly cat, it's not your fault." - Phoebe
5. "He's a transponster!" - Rachel
6. "It’s a trifle. It’s got all of these layers. First there’s a layer of ladyfingers, then a layer of jam, then custard, which I made from scratch, then raspberries, more ladyfingers, then beef sauteed with peas and onions, then a little more custard, and then bananas, and then I just put some whipped cream on top!" - Rachel
"I like it. What's not to like? Custard? Good. Jam? Good. Meat? Good." - Joey
7. "Now, everybody knows the basic erogenous zones. You got one, two, three, four, five, six, and seven. ... OK, now most guys will hit one, two, three and then go to seven and set up camp. ... You want to hit 'em all and you wanna mix 'em up. You gotta keep 'em on their toes. ... You could start out with a little one. A two. A one, two, three. A three. A five. A four. A three, two. Two. A two, four, six. Two, four, six. Four. Two. Two. Four, seven! Five, seven! Six, seven! Seven! Seven! Seven! Seven! Seven! Seven! Seven! Seven! Seven! [holds up seven fingers] " - Monica
8. "If he doesn't like you this is all a moo point. ... Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo." - Joey
9. "Gum would be perfection." - Chandler
10. "My sister's gonna have my baby!" - Phoebe's brother, Frank Jr.
11. "Here come the meat sweats." - Joey
12. "Look at me! I'm Chandler! Could I be wearing any more clothes?!" - Joey
13. "Pivot! Pivot! Pivot! Pivot. Pivot. Pivot." - Ross
14. "She's your lobster. C'mon you guys. It's a known fact that lobsters fall in love and mate for life. You can actually see old lobster couples, walking around their tank, you know, holding claws. ... See? He's her lobster!" - Phoebe, about Ross and Rachel
15. "Oh. My. God." - Chandler's girlfriend, Janice
16. "Of course you can defend yourself from an attack you know is coming, that's not enough. Look, I studied karate for a long time, and there's a concept you should really be familiar with. It's what the Japanese call 'unagi.' ... Maybe it means [freshwater eel] too. You know what? Fine. Get attacked I don't even care. ... Unagi is a state of total awareness. OK, only by achieving true unagi can you be prepared for any danger that may befall you." - Ross
17. "That's right, I stepped up! She's my friend and she needed help. If I had to, I'd pee on any one of you!" - Joey
18. "But they don't know that we know they know we know!" - Phoebe
19. "I'm being transferred to Yemen." - Chandler, to Janice, who later responds, "I'll write you everyday: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen."
20. "Judge all you want to but, [points to Ross] married a lesbian, [points to Rachel] left a man at the altar, [points to Phoebe] fell in love with a gay ice dancer,[points to Joey] threw a girl's wooden leg in a fire, [points to the box that Chandler is in] live in a box!" - Monica