The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who recently moved to the City of Angels with their 11-month-old son Archie, delivered free meals to people in Los Angeles on Easter Sunday .
"In honor of the Easter holiday, the Duke and Duchess spent Sunday morning volunteering with Project Angel Food by delivering meals to our clients," Project Angel Food's executive director Ricahrd Ayoub said in a statement. "On Wednesday they quietly continued delivering meals to relieve our overworked drivers."
"It was their way to thank our volunteers, chefs and staff who have been working tirelessly since the COVID-19 crisis began," he said.
Project Angel Food is a Los Angeles-based charity that "cooks and delivers over 600,000 nutritious meals each year, free of charge, to the homes of men, women, and children affected by life-threatening illnesses," according to its website.
Duchess Meghan is a Los Angeles native who knew about the charity's work in the community from growing up in the area, a source familiar with the matter told ABC News.
Meghan has teamed up again with the women of the Hubb Community Kitchen in West London, whom she partnered with on a charity cookbook in 2018.
Following a request from Meghan this week, the women from the Hubb Kitchen are starting a new service, cooking in their own kitchens hundreds of meals that will be donated to families in need in London. Harry and Meghan partnered with another charity they work with, Street Games, to help collect and drop off the meals three days a week.
“The spirit of the Hubb Community Kitchen has always been one of caring, giving back, and helping those in need, initially in Grenfell and now throughout the UK. A home cooked meal from one neighbor to another, when they need it most, is what community is all about," Meghan said in a statement. "I’m so proud of the women of the Hubb Community Kitchen, and the continued support the Felix Project gives them to carry out these acts of goodwill, which at this moment in time are urgently needed. I’m equally moved by the many people who are contributing to the Evening Standard’s campaign to raise money for these vital organizations in the wake of COVID 19.”
Earlier in the week it was announced that Harry and Meghan have arranged for excess profits from the BBC broadcast of their May 2018 wedding to go toward feeding hungry children during the pandemic.
The couple plans to give just over $112,000 to Feeding Britain, a U.K.-based charity that provides food to families in need, according to its website. The charity's president is the Archbishop of Canterbury, who presided over the Sussexes' wedding.
Harry also participated in a video call this week with families of seriously ill children in the U.K. to see how they are holding up during the coronavirus pandemic.
Harry told the families that one of the "positives" to emerge from the coronavirus pandemic is "being able to have family time."
"So much family time that you almost think do I feel guilty, but you have got to celebrate those moments when you are just rolling around on the floor in hysterics," he said. "But inventively, maybe half an hour later, a day later, there will be something you have got to deal with."
Harry and Meghan have been following coronavirus-related stay-at-home orders in California since moving there from Vancouver Island, where they had spent the past several months.
The Sussexes plan to launch a nonprofit venture named Archewell, but no details have been released. Their last official royal engagement in the U.K. was on March 9, when they attended a Commonwealth Day service with other members of the royal family.
Harry's friend, conservationist Dr. Jane Goodall, said in a new interview published Tuesday by The Radio Times that Harry is finding his new life as a non-working member of Britain's royal family "a bit challenging."
"I don’t know how his career is going to map out, but yes, I’ve been in touch, though I think he’s finding life a bit challenging just now," said Goodall, a longtime friend of Harry's who has collaborated with the prince on environmental issues.
Harry and Meghan's official last day as working royals was March 31 and their Buckingham Palace office closed on April 1. In their new roles as non-working members of the royal family, Harry and Meghan no longer use their HRH titles, no longer represent the queen and do not receive public funds.