Quick Tips from Mellody Hobson

VIDEO: Mellody Hobson on how to start saving early for retirement. ABC News

"GMA" financial contributor Mellody Hobson says there are three easy ways for college kids to save big and ensure a bright financial future (CLICK HERE to watch):

1. Make sure you have only one credit card.

2. Pick a bank with low fees.

3. Avoid the campus book store, and buy your text books online.

CLICK HERE for more of Mellody's money advice for college students.

More Quick Tips from Mellody Hobson:

Get a Good Deal on a New Car

If you really want to get a good deal on a new car, Hobson says you need to:

Research the car: target the car that's right for you and make sure to research any incentives that might be in place. It will put you in a better negotiating position.

Get your free credit card report: Request copies from each of the three credit bureaus to make sure it's correct and doesn't lead to a higher interest rate.

Ask about early termination. What happens if you turn the car in early? Sometimes those costs can be quite high.

CLICK HERE for Mellody's advice on avoiding car loan debt.

Maximizing Your Investments

Mellody's tips for managing your investments and maximizing your return:

Lay out your goals: Be clear about your short-term and long-term goals.

Don't retreat from stocks: Although we've been through a tough financial crisis, over the long-term they've out-performed everything else, even with the bad times.

CLICK HERE for tips from Mellody on how to make the most of your 401(k).

CLICK HERE for Mellody's advice on what to do if you and your spouse have different philosophies about saving.

Clearing Up Refinance Confusion

Refinancing your mortgage can be a quick way to save big money, but it can also be confusing.

Be prepared: make sure you get your paperwork in order -- pay stubs, band statements, because sometimes rates only last a few hours

Shop around for quotes from multiple lenders and be aware of closing costs and points.

CLICK HERE for Mellody's advice on lowering your property tax assessment if you own a home.