What Type Of Doctor Should I See To Get A Comprehensive Evaluation Of Autism?

Dr. Loveland answers the question: 'What Type of Doctor Evaluates Autism?'

ByKatherine Loveland, Ph.d., Prof., Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Univ. Of Texas Medical School At Houston
October 15, 2008, 10:23 AM

Oct. 23, 2008 -- Question: What type of doctor should I see to get a comprehensive evaluation of autism?

Answer: A diagnosis of autism could be given by a psychologist, a child psychiatrist, a developmental pediatrician or a child neurologist. All of these professionals are qualified to give this diagnosis if they have received training in this area. However, it's also a good idea to get a broader, more comprehensive evaluation including speech and language, hearing, and physical and motor development as well as IQ or intellectual development.

The professional who gives the diagnosis of autism should be able to refer you to the appropriate professionals to provide these additional evaluations.

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events