How Is Strabismus Diagnosed, And What Kind Of Doctor Should I See If I Think My Child Has Strabismus?

Question: How is strabismus diagnosed, and what kind of doctor should I see if I think my child has strabismus?

Answer: Strabismus is diagnosed usually by the pediatrician or the family practitioner. This provides a medical home for the child where care can be coordinated. The pediatrician, according to guidelines developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics as well as the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, define what to look for at well-baby and well-child checkups. The pediatrician and family practitioner are familiar with certain techniques to diagnose strabismus. This can include a penlight that is shined at the baby's eyes.

The light reflects, it bounces from the baby's eye, should be well centered. If it is not, strabismus can then be diagnosed. An appropriate referral should include a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist who has specialty training in identifying and treating visual disorders in children.