What Tests Should Be Done If I Am a Man With a Breast Lump?

Question:What tests should be done if I am a man with a breast lump?

Answer:Well, a male with a breast lump should be considered very similar to a woman with a breast lump. And that's to say if the lump is new and it persists for more than a few weeks, the male should see a physician, should be considered for a mammogram, though in many cases mammography is not very good for these. But in most cases, because the lump is easily palpable it can be easily biopsied, typically with a fine needle aspiration biopsy, in essence, putting a small, thin needle into the lump and sucking a small amount of tissue out for a pathologic analysis.

Next: Is Male Breast Cancer Treated the Same as Female Breast Cancer, and Does Gender Affect My Response to Treatment?

Dr. George SledgePlay

Previous: Can Men Get Breast Cancer?