Alabama Water Park Temporarily Closed After Parasite Found

A parasite called cryptosporidium can live in chlorinated water for days.

— -- An Alabama water park has temporarily closed after a parasite that can survive for days in chlorinated water was found in the area, according to park officials.

The Spring Valley Beach Water Park in Blountsville, Alabama, was closed this weekend after health officials traced a parasite called cryptosporidium to the park. The microscopic parasite can survive in properly chlorinated water for days and can cause nausea, diarrhea and stomach cramps, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Symptoms of cryptosporidium usually last about a week.

"It is introduced to the water from an outside source and is most commonly transferred in recreational water," park officials said on Saturday. "Though we test our water every two hours throughout the day, there is no simple test for this particular parasite."

On Monday, park officials said they would keep the park closed as they work with health department officials to guarantee that the parasite has been eradicated from the area. Officials said they plan a "super chlorination" of the water to help kill the parasite.

"We will, however, be starting the treatment on our water by super chlorination before knowing the results of the test," park officials said on Facebook. "We plan to be up and running for this weekend, August 20 and 21."