Jan. 27, 2010 -- How many hours of sleep do you really need and how can you make sure that you are getting restful sleep? See below for tips on how to get a better night's sleep, and click here for more from the experts on its importance for your overall health.
The National Sleep Foundation says the average adult needs between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night. Here are 10 natural ways to help you get that rest:
1. Go to bed and get up at about the same time every day, even on weekends.
2. Don't eat or drink large amounts before bedtime.
3. Avoid nicotine, caffeine and alcohol in the evening.
4. Exercise regularly.
5. Make your bedroom cool, dark, quiet and comfortable.
6. Sleep primarily at night.
7. Choose a comfortable mattress and pillow.
8. Start a relaxing bedtime routine.
9. Go to bed when you're tired and turn out the lights. If you don't fall asleep within 15 to 20 minutes, get up and do something else. Go back to bed when you're tired.
10. Avoid intense exercises close to bedtime as they tend to give you more energy and keep you up longer.
CLICK HERE for more sleep tips.
CLICK HERE to learn how much sleep you really need.