-- Americans will try all sorts of ways to get their skin looking as wrinkle-free as possible.
There are a plethora of fancy facials that use, among other unique ingredients, lasers, bee venom, and even one’s own blood. In addition to those treatments, there are pricey cosmetic creams, Botox and even face slapping.
But you don’t have to spend a lot of money to prevent wrinkles.
As part of the “GMA” Yahoo Your Day series, “GMA” met up with Michele Promaulayko, Yahoo Health’s editor in chief, to get the scoop on how to prevent wrinkles for free. She said that most wrinkles are caused by the breakdown of collagen and elastin, adding: “biggest culprits are obviously smoking and the sun.”
Promaulayko offered the following seven easy tips to prevent wrinkles:
1. Avoid drinking through a straw. “When you're pursing your lips a lot with a straw, you're going to get those little lines around your lips. It's not cute,” she said.
2. Limit frequent gum chewing. The repetitive motion of chewing, usually more on one side of the mouth, can cause wrinkles to be more pronounced on that side of the face.
3. Always wear your sunglasses, even when it's cloudy. "You're always squinting when you're in bright light. And that's going to cause fine lines around your eyes," she noted.
4. Try not to stretch your skin when applying or removing makeup. Just try to be gentle with your skin,” she said. “Also we have a tendency to … raise our eyebrows and open our mouth and make all these funny faces. Try not to do that."
5. Limit consumption of refined sugar. “It does nothing good. It breaks down your cells,” she said, adding that it causes inflammation.
6. Be aware of how much you’re looking down at your mobile devices. “You can use voice texting … holding your phone up and not looking down,” she said.
7. Try not to sleep on your side. “When you sleep on your side, you cause wrinkles on your face, but you also cause cleavage wrinkles,” she said. She advised that people sleep on their backs and use silky pillowcases.