Arrest of 'Prince of Peace' at White House Underscores Persistent Problem of Gate Crashers

Arrest on Saturday was just the latest in a string of intruders.

ByABC News
September 23, 2014, 1:50 PM
A perimeter fence sits in front of the White House fence on the North Lawn along Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, Sept. 22, 2014.
A perimeter fence sits in front of the White House fence on the North Lawn along Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, Sept. 22, 2014.
Carolyn Kaster/AP Photo

— -- Kevin Carr came to the White House on foot Saturday afternoon saying he had an appointment with the president after driving to Washington from his home in New Jersey.

According to court records, Carr told Secret Service agents that he was "the Prince of Peace" who often communicated with President Obama and Vladimir Putin telepathically. He was there at the White House, he said, to discuss "resolving the conflict in the Ukraine."

Aside from his self-described telepathic powers, his story had other problems. He told officers that his appointment was at noon, but it was now 3:12 p.m. and the president was not home. The first family had departed for Camp David the previous evening.

White House Fence Jumper Omar Gonzalez Had 800 Rounds of Ammo in Car, Prosecutors Say

Obama 'Obviously Concerned' Over Security Breach

After checking his car at a nearby parking garage and finding "nothing of interest," Carr was told to go back to New Jersey, according to court papers.

Carr then told the agents that his grandparents said he had been behaving strangely and sent him to see a therapist. The therapist, Carr told the agents, is a liar. He also told agents he does not have any mental health issues or take medication.

Minutes later, Carr appeared at a different White House entrance, this one at 15th Street and E Street and this time driving his Chevy Cruze. Again, he told an officer he had an appointment to meet with the president, but omitted any talk of telepathic communications with world leaders. This time, however, he was directed to a restricted parking lot for "authorized vehicles only" inside the White House complex. Instead of parking, Carr allegedly drove his vehicle "25 feet in the general direction of the White House, even further into the White House Complex," according to court papers.

A Secret Service spokesman told ABC News today that the officers acted appropriately by directing Carr to a side area for further screening and were initially unaware of his previous encounter with agents only minutes earlier. This area is considered an outer perimeter but when Carr drove further in, it became clear he needed to be arrested and charged, the spokesman said.

A Secret Service account filed in court with the complaint states, "Had the defendant not falsely stated that he had an appointment to meet with the president, and omitted the information about his communications with the president ... he would not have been allowed to enter the White House Complex at all."

At this point, Secret Service officers broadcast a lookout alert for Carr. Officers immediately responded to the vehicle and asked Carr why he was there. According to the filing, Carr said, "I am persistent."

Carr was arrested and charged with unlawful entry, a misdemeanor. He appeared in D.C. Superior Court on Monday and was released on his own recognizance with an order not come within a block of the White House Complex and that he submit to drug testing.

Saturday’s arrest came less than 24 hours after a fence jumper with a knife was arrested after he gained entry into the White House on Friday. The suspect in that case, Omar Gonzalez, had two prior encounters with the Secret Service, law enforcement sources tell ABC News.