2 more Trump campaign staffers test positive for COVID-19 after Tulsa rally
Six members of the advance team tested positive before the campaign rally
Eight of President Donald Trump's campaign staffers have tested positive for COVID-19 -- two of them getting positive results after attending the rally Saturday in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the Trump campaign confirmed to ABC News.
Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh said in a statement Monday that the two campaign staffers who attended the rally Saturday and tested positive for the novel coronavirus wore masks during the entire event.
"Upon the positive tests, the campaign immediately activated established quarantine and contact tracing protocols," the statement continued.
Ahead of the rally, six members of the campaign's advance staff tested positive. Two Secret Service agents were among them, a source familiar with the matter told ABC News.
"Per safety protocols, campaign staff are tested for COVID-19 before events. Six members of the advance team tested positive out of hundreds of tests performed, and quarantine procedures were immediately implemented," Murtaugh said in a statement Saturday.
"No COVID-positive staffers or anyone in immediate contact will be at today's rally or near attendees and elected officials. As previously announced, all rally attendees are given temperature checks before going through security, at which point they are given wristbands, facemasks and hand sanitizer," he added.
Trump decided to hold his first campaign rally in months Saturday after widespread warnings from health experts about the potential of coronavirus exposure.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious-disease expert and leading member on the president's coronavirus task force, said he would not attend the event in Tulsa and told ABC News that attending a political rally or a protest right now is still "a danger" and "risky."
In the lead up to the event, Tulsa officials warned the Trump campaign to postpone the event fearing that it would not be safe as Oklahoma is experiencing an increase in cases.
"I recommend it be postponed until it's safer, until the data tells that is not as great of a concern to have people indoors, in enclosed spaces with a threat of a COVID-19 transmission," Tulsa Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Thursday. "That is what I personally would like to see happen. The virus is here. So let's focus on staying safe while it's here."
ABC News' Jack Date contributed to this report.
ABC News Live
24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events