'Explosives' in Connecticut Robbery Plot Were Hoaxes, Sources Say

PHOTO: Police respond to an incident at Achieve Financial Credit in New Britain, Conn., involving a device that was believed to be explosive, Feb. 23, 2015.PlayWTNH
WATCH Connecticut Credit Union Robbery Suspects Remain at Large

Two law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation into an attempted Connecticut credit union robbery have told ABC News that the devices that were initially believed to be explosives were actually hoaxes.

New details have emerged about the mysterious incident that took place in New Britain Monday when credit union manager Matthew Yussman and his mother were forced to wear the devices.

The New Britain Police Department has released descriptions of the two male suspects who allegedly bound and held Yussman and his mother overnight before forcing him to drive to the Achieve Financial Credit Union and demand money.

At least one of the suspects is believed to be white and while they both spoke fluent English, they had "distinct accents that were not consistent with being native to Connecticut," according to a police statement.

The men were reportedly wearing dark clothing, ski masks and ski goggles when Yussman, 46, arrived at the home he shared with his mother and the suspects took the pair hostage.

Police only learned that anything was wrong Monday morning. At that point, Yussman had a device "affixed to his body" and told to go to the credit union to "obtain money." During that time, his mother was bound to a bed with a similar device.

Few details have been released about the devices, which are now being tested by the FBI.

"Based on statements from the suspects and the appearance of the device, the victim believed this to be an explosive device," the New Britain Police statement said.

It was only when Yussman arrived at the credit union and an employee called police that law enforcement responded and his device was "eventually rendered safe" by the Connecticut State Police Bomb Squad, according to the police statement.

Neighbor Carol Shappy told ABC News that her daughter called her to tell her about reports of dangerous activity on her block, shortly before Shappy saw police block the top of her road.

"We didn't know what was going on," she said.

While some residents evacuated the area, Shappy and her relatives decided to stay inside "because we didn't know if someone was running around with a gun."

"It was just wild to think that something like that could happen in a nice neighborhood like this," Shappy said.

The investigation is ongoing and police are asking anyone with information about the suspects or their car, which they believe was "an older model white four door Mazda," to call in with tips.

ABC News' Josh Haskell, Gio Benitez and Chris Francescani contributed to this report.