Indiana Boy Scout Leader Allegedly Stabbed to Death on Hike

Arthur Anderson, 76, was murdered on a hiking trip with his Boy Scouts.

Aug. 22, 2011 — -- An Indiana man on a violent rampage allegedly stabbed and killed an assistant Boy Scout leader on a hiking trip with three others. The man, Shane Golitko, 22, also allegedly beat his own mother and killed a dog before leading police on a car chase that ended with his arrest.

The Indiana State Police responded to a 911 call on Saturday afternoon reporting a possible stabbing on the Nickel Plate Trail in Bunker Hill, according to a police report.

Upon arrival, officers found 76-year-old Arthur Anderson "on the ground bleeding profusely from his neck," according to the report. Even though medics and civilians on the trail tried to save Anderson, he died at the scene.

"They had no contact with each other, other than Mr. Anderson being at the wrong place at the wrong time," said Indiana State Police spokesman Sergeant Tony Slocum. He called the attack a "random and senseless crime."

Witnesses told police that an unprovoked white male walked up behind Anderson and stabbed him in the neck before fleeing in a black Jeep Cherokee. When police tracked down the car, they attempted a traffic stop but Golitko took off, leading police on an eight-minute chase at a maximum speed of 50 mph.

The pursuit ended when officers used their cars to block the road ahead of Golitko's vehicle. He was apprehended and taken into custody.

Police soon learned that another 911 call from the area was placed a minute before the stabbing call. This call was from Golitko's mother, Valerie Henson, 48. She called to report that her son had battered her during an argument at home. She suffered a broken arm and got away by running to a neighbor's house.

After the attack on his mother, Golitko allegedly took a knife from his home and walked about 150 yards south to Nickel Plate Trail, where the stabbing took place. Police say he then returned home, where he destroyed items inside the housed and stabbed two dogs, killing one. He then fled in his mother's Jeep.

Police said they did not yet know a motive for the crime spree.

"It appears at this time to be totally random," Sgt. Slocum said. "As far as all indications and everything is preliminary, we don't believe that the illegal use of narcotics or alcohol were used in this act."

The police report said that Anderson was on the hiking trail with another male adult and two boys, ages 11 and 12, all of whom witnessed the murder. The group had planned a five-mile hike from Bunker Hill to Bennetts Switch. The Scouts, who were from Kokomo, Ind., had stopped on the trail to identify a tree when Golitko attacked. No one else was hurt.

Golitko is being held without bond at the Miami County Jail on a murder charge. He also faces two felony counts for battery causing serious bodily injury and battery by bodily waste. He allegedly spat at officers while being taken to jail.

"Today is a very difficult day for the entire Scouting family and we ask for the continual thoughts a prayers for all those involved in this tragic event," said Edward Caldwell, a Scout executive in Kokomo, in a statement.

Police say Anderson had been involved with the Boy Scouts for more than 50 years.

"The Sagamore Council family is deeply saddened to learn about the death of dedicated and long-time Assistant Scoutmaster Art Anderson," Caldwell said. "Art passed away while doing what he loved -- mentoring young men -- while on a five-mile hike."