Garrido Investigators Unearth Bone Fragments

Jaycee Dugard's rescue gives hope to families of other missing girls.

August 30, 2009, 12:07 PM

Aug. 31, 2009— -- Investigators looking for links between Phillip and Nancy Garrido, the couple accused of kidnapping and imprisoning Jaycee Dugard for 18 years, and other missing children in the area today unearthed bone fragments at a property Phillip Garrido frequently used.

Contra Costa Sheriff's Department spokesman Jimmy Lee said a cadaver dog sniffed out the bone fragments and they were taken to a lab for examination. Police do not yet know if they are human or animal.

"We are taking very seriously the possibility that he could be connected to some others," San Francisco FBI Special Agent Joseph Schadler told today.

The revelation that Garrido is being investigated for other missing children is in addition to probes by detectives who say that Garrido is a person of interest in a string of prostitute murders.

Rod Garecht told ABC News that police have contacted him looking for any connection between Jaycee's 1991 abduction when she was 11 and the 1988 kidnapping of his 9-year-old daughter Michaela.

"Anything to keep her in the news and keep people talking about her is good," Garecht said today.

Like Jaycee Dugard, Michaela Garecht was grabbed off the street in broad daylight, pulled into a stranger's car in front of witnesses. His daughter, with her dirty-blonde hair and wide smile, could be Jaycee's twin.

Michaela would now be 30, a year older than Jaycee who was found alive last week at age 29 along with the two daughters fathered by Phillip Garrido.

When Garecht saw the story about Jaycee Dugard last week, Garecht said he wondered if the woman police had found was actually Michaela.

"When I saw her, the picture they showed of her as a child looked a lot like my daughter," he said. "I kept thinking it was Michaela and not that other girl."

Though police have confirmed Jaycee's identity, "there's always a glimmer of hope," Garecht said.

Michaela's abduction was witnessed by a friend, Garecht said after the two girls had finally won hard-bargained permission for a scooter trip to the corner store for sweets, about a block away.

Garecht said that one of the girls' scooters was moved from near the store's entrance to leaning against a car in the parking lot. It was his daughter who ran over to retrieve the scooter and when she did, the kidnapper yanked her into the car right in front of her friend.

"There's still a possibility that she's alive," Garecht said, although he added, "not much possibility."

Michaela Garecht and Jaycee Dugard were two in a string of young girls who disappeared in the late 1980s and 1990s. Schadler said that they are looking specifically at abductions that took place after Garrido was paroled in the late 1980s after serving prison time for kidnapping and rape.

"The issue with Jaycee being found is just something that reinforces our hope," Mike Misheloff told

Ilene Misheloff Disappeared Two Years Before Jaycee Dugard

It's been more than 20 years since 13-year-old Ilene Misheloff was kidnapped while walking home from school in Dublin, Calif. She was last seen on Jan. 30, 1989, less than 200 yards from a shortcut over a creek bed that her parents learned Ilene used only after her disappearance.

Misheloff said that while the news that Jaycee Dugard had been found 18 years after her 1991 kidnapping lifted his hopes, he did not immediately believe there was a connection between her case and his daughter's abduction.

Though younger than the others missing girls, a 4-year-old girl also disappeared from northern California in 1991, just months after Jaycee was snatched. Amanda Campbell, also known as Nikki, was last seen two days after Christmas when she left her brother to bike to a nearby friend's house.

But for Jaycee's family, the years of despair have now given way to mixed emotions of elation at her homecoming and disgust at the life she'd been forced into.

Jim McLean, a family friend and president of Viewtech Financial Services, said he's working to set up a trust fund for Jaycee and her daughters who will be in need of mental health treatment, dentist and doctor visits and "possible remedial education."

"She's got these kids and they've got nothing more than the clothes they were wearing," he said.

Though the family has temporary housing and Jaycee and her daughters are receiving professional help, Jaycee's mother Terry Probyn has "immediately financial needs," said McLean, who employed Jaycee Dugard's grandmother for 25 years.

An account has been set up directly for Terry until the lengthy trust fund process is complete.

Donations for Jaycee Dugard can be sent -- checks only -- to Jaycee Dugard Trust Fund, c/o Viewtech Financial Services, P.O. Box 596, Atwood, Calif. 92811.

Unfortunately, McLean noted, scammers have already begun buying up domain names using Jaycee's name in an effort to direct well-wishers' money into their own pockets.

An Officer's Intuition Broke Open the Case of Jaycee Dugard

The Jaycee Dugard case was broken open by the intuition of two police employees who realized something was amiss when Garrido showed up at the UC Berkeley college campus with Dugard's two daughters.

"Their movements weren't that of ordinary girls," UC Berkeley Officer Ally Jacobs told "Good Morning America" today. "They were very robotic."

Lisa Campbell, a manager with the campus police who first spotted the trio handing out religious material at UC Berkeley, told "GMA" that there wasn't one thing that raised her suspicions.

Garrido, she said, "appeared to be really unstable, erratic in conversation" while his two daughters, Angel and Starlet, lingered in the background.

It was that meeting that blew open the disappearance of Jaycee Dugard who hadn't been heard of since June 10, 1991 when the then-11-year-old was snatched off the street near her South Lake Tahoe school bus stop.

Garrido's wife, Nancy Garrido, has also been arrested on more than two dozen charges. Both husband and wife have pleaded not guilty.

When Jacobs met the girls, 11 and 15, what she called mother's intuition kicked in right away.

"I observed two young girls, one of which was just staring at me very intensely with this very eerie smile on her face," she said. The older girl was acting "strange" and refusing to make eye contact with authorities, Jacobs said.

The girls told police that they were home schooled and that they had an "older sister" living at home. One of them, Jacobs said, had a bump over her eye.

That older sister was actually their mother, Jaycee Dugard. Garrido, a registered sex offender who had previously served time for kidnapping and rape, was their father.

The Berkeley officers ran a background check on Garrido and discovered he was on parole. They conctacted his parole officer and mentioned Garrido's two daughters. The parole officer, who had visited Garrido's home on previous occasions, immediately realized something was wrong because there had been no mention or signs of children in Garrido's life.

The parole officer called Garrido in for an interview and during that session, Jaycee Dugard announced her true identity and Garrdio admitted he had kidnapped her.

Jaycee was reunited last week with her mother, Terry Probyn, and her half-sister Shayna who was just a year old when Jaycee was kidnapped.

Her stepfather, Carl Probyn, told "GMA" today that mother and daughter are overjoyed to be together again, though Jaycee's family is having a hard time stomaching the details of her last 18 years.

"I actually stopped her and wouldn't let her tell me," Probyn said of the details his wife shared with him. "It upset me too bad."

Probyn said the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children has been assisting the family and Jaycee has been meeting with a psychologist. Probyn told ABC News last week that his stepdaughter feels guilty for bonding with Garrido over the years.

"She's just going minute by minute," he said today, adding that all the girls are "very smart."

As the investigation works to unearth the hellish secrets of Garrido's back yard, a look inside the squalid complex of tents and sheds -- which locked only from the outside – gave a disturbing insight into the life Jaycee has had for nearly two decades.

Books were stacked on crudely built shelves among trash and a seemingly out of place "Welcome" sign. One of the book titles was "Self Esteem: A Family Affair." There was also a display of cat decorations adorning a dresser.

Jaycee Dugard: Hostage in Plain Sight

Authorities have said Jaycee may have acquired impressive computer skill during her imprisonment which she used to help Garrido's printing business.

Contractor Ben Daughdril was one of Garrido's regular customers and said that when he saw Jaycee there was never any indication that she had been kidnapped and was forced to live a life of filth and abuse.

"She was friendly. Didn't look distressed, didn't look upset," he said. "She came across as very professional and polite."

Campbell said Jaycee's case serves as a reminder for everyone to be very aware of their surroundings and to report anything that seems out of the ordinary.

"Be aware," she said. "Pay attention to things."

Garrido has maintained, both in interviews and writings, that he is a reformed man.

He walked into the FBI field office in San Francisco two days before his arrest and handed over a letter describing how he'd cured his disturbing sexual behaviors and how the information could be used to assist in curing sexual predators.

The FBI spokesman in San Francisco told ABC News the rambling letter is very similar to the postings on Garrido's website.

The document that talks about cures for sexual predators and ways of "controlling human impulses that drive humans to commit dysfunctional acts."

Probyn told "Good Morning America" on Sunday that his concern is Jaycee, not her kidnapper.

"It's been 18 years," Carl Probyn told "GMA" Sunday. "I'm glad we got her back. I don't care about him."

Probyn, 56, a wallpaper hanger, was suspected by some in-laws of being involved in the 1991 abduction. He concedes finding Dugard, who is now 29, is also a relief for him personally. "I'm free now," he said. "They caught him and it's solved."

Probyn says he's unaware if any of his relatives will apologize, but says he told his estranged wife Terry Probyn this weekend, "I don't want these people back in my life. They actually raised money to hire detectives to put me in jail."

Dugard Kidnapping Case Evidence Search Expanded

On the Antioch street where Garrido lived, the neighborhood kids nicknamed him "Creepy Phil." Now that he and his wife face 29 felony counts for what he allegedly did to Dugard over the past 18 years, Garrido, if convicted, will almost certainly die in prison.

During most of Garrido's 58 years, criminal records show a pattern of abusing or manipulating women.

His father, Manuel Garrido, is the first to admit his son was a troubled teenager.

"He was on LSD and he had a serious motorcycle wreck and hit his head," Manuel Garrido told reporters.

Phillip Garrido was first caught 33 years ago. A patrol officer saw a curious light inside an 8 foot by 10 foot storage unit in Reno, Nev. A police detective repeatedly banged on the door.

"He kept banging on the door until Mr. Garrido opened the door ... and a naked woman ran out," explained Dan DeMaranville, of the Reno police department. The officer then "stuck a gun up the guy's nose and that was end of that party," DeMaranville said.

Police say Garrido's Reno storage unit looked like a scene from a porno film. Garrido confessed to rape and was sent to Leavenworth Prison in Kansas.

Even from inside the penitentiary, DeMaranville said, Garrido convinced a woman, Nancy Boconegra to marry him. She has stayed with him to this day.

"He's a pervert," DeMaranville said. "He should have been neutered while he was in prison."

ABC News' Zunaira Zaki contributed to this report

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events