Missing Utah Teen Brooklyn Gittins Found, Police Call Disappearance 'Suspicious'

PHOTO: The search for a missing 13-year-old, Brooklyn Gittons, in Utah came to a close as police found the teenager who disappeared with no cell phone, shoes or even a coat at a local Walmart, Jan. 10, 2013.PlayABC NEWS
WATCH Missing Utah Teen Found at Walmart

The frantic search for a missing 13-year-old in Utah came to a close overnight after police found the teenager who disappeared with no cellphone, shoes or even a coat at a local Walmart. But what looks like a case of a teen runaway is being called suspicious by police.

Brooklyn Gittins' family said the young girl went to bed Tuesday night wearing her pajamas. When they awoke, she was gone, and even her trademark eyeglasses were left behind. She contacted her family late Thursday night.

Lt. Justin Hoyal of Salt Lake Unified Police told ABCNews.com that she is safe at home now.

"We believe that she did leave her house on Tuesday evening, and somebody picked her up and harbored her for the last two and a half days. We're going to investigate," he said. "She's 13 years old, and for someone to hold her is wrong. We'll do everything to find the person and bring [that person] to justice."

Brooklyn was unharmed and was still wearing her gray T-shirt and black pajama pants. She had no shoes or coat, and was not wearing her glasses.

"Brooklyn called her grandmother about 11:30 p.m. and told her that she was at the Walmart in South Jordan," Salt Lake police said. "Her grandmother then called Utah police department. We responded to the Walmart and located Brooklyn.

"The disappearance is suspicious and we are still investigating where she went and who she was with."

Police say there were no signs of forced entry in her home outside Salt Lake City, and none of the straight-A student's friends had heard from her after she vanished.

"There are elements of this case that are extremely concerting. We are hopeful that, however, that this is simply a runaway," police said Thursday.

Brooklyn has gone missing before. Her family says she ran away last summer, but soon returned

More than 500 volunteers, as well as dog teams, fanned out Thursday to search the area near Brooklyn's home. But authorities sent the volunteers home overnight, saying the storm that brought all the heavy snow was too dangerous.