Vanderbilt Rape Trial: Ex-Football Players Found Guilty

Ex-football players were accused of raping a young woman in a dorm room.

— -- Two former Vanderbilt University football players on trial for sexually assaulting a female classmate in a campus dorm room were found guilty Tuesday.

Vanderburg and Batey's bond has been revoked and they will be sentenced on March 6.

Two other ex-players accused of being involved in the incident, Brandon Banks and Jaborian McKenzie, also face charges of rape and sexual battery, but have not yet gone to trial. All four pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors say the 21-year-old woman -- a former neuroscience major and dance team member at the university -- was allegedly drunk and passed out when the 2013 incident occurred. ABC News has declined to name the victim.

The graphic sexual assault case has played out in a Nashville courtroom over the past few weeks, reflecting many of the larger controversies colleges face today, including alcohol, sexual promiscuity and the role of popular culture.

Prosecutors presented a surveillance video showing Vandenburg carrying the victim to his dorm building that night, accompanied by Batey, Banks and McKenzie. According to prosecutors, the four former football players laughed at the victim, who was passed out, before they allegedly sexually assaulted her inside Vandenburg's room.

“Vandenburg, he had said, ‘we're going to have some,’” prosecutor Tom Thurman said. “He gives everyone a condom.”

The defense argued the young men were not guilty of rape, but rather of making a mistake. Batey's lawyer, Worrick Robinson, claimed that college culture put his client in this situation. In court, the defense poked holes in how police conducted their investigation, also raising questions about the lack of DNA evidence found at the scene.

Batey, testifying in his own defense Monday, admitted he was the one in the cell phone video that prosecutors said showed him sexually assaulting the female classmate. He even attempted to apologize to the victim from the stand, saying “I’m just sorry. I never intended on hurting anyone.”

Batey also testified he was too drunk to remember the incident, claiming he blacked out after consuming between 14 and 22 drinks that night. He told the court he didn't realize what he had done until the next morning, after finding graphic photos on his phone as he was on his way to church.

“I was horrified,” he said. “I didn't know they got there. I didn't remember. I didn't know what had happened to the young lady in the pictures and I deleted them immediately.”

The woman became physically overcome with emotion when the graphic cell phone photos and video of the attack were shown in court Monday. But like Batey, she said she had no recollection of the actual attack. She testified that she had been out drinking that night with Vandenburg, who she said she had been causally seeing at the time, before passing out.

The next morning, the victim testified, she remembered “waking up in an unfamiliar room at 8 in the morning.” She went on to tell the court that Vandenburg told her that she had “gotten sick in his room” and “he had to spend the whole night taking care” of her.

“It was horrible, it was horrible,” the young woman said. “I was embarrassed I apologized.”

It wasn't until later that she discovered something was very wrong.

In the Vanderbilt situation, school authorities reported the situation to police.

ABC News' Ryan Smith and Jason Volack contributed to this report.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events