Why Benedict Cumberbatch Announced His Engagement in the Paper

PHOTO: Benedict Cumberbatch is pictured Oct. 8, 2014, in London. PlayDave J. Hogan/Getty Images
WATCH Benedict Cumberbatch Does His Best Beyonce Strut

Benedict Cumberbatch shocked everyone when he announced his engagement to actress Sophie Hunter in the births, deaths and marriages column of The Times of London -- maybe the most humble way possible, something fans may not be accustomed to from famous actors.

Now, the "Sherlock" star, 38, is explaining why he took the old-fashioned route with last week's announcement.

"It's what I would have done if I wasn't sort of famous. It's what we do. It's a kind of traditional thing to do," Cumberbatch told People magazine.

In fact, Cumberbatch poked fun at the usual Twitter or Facebook posts that are the current trend to announce engagements.

"I don't tweet or do social media. It's too impersonal," he said. "I would rather do what we did, and have people find it, and not see us from some ... grainy footage staring lovingly into each others' eyes with a ring on someone's finger. I wanted it to be ours."

The actor was surprised that everyone was so happy for him and his bride-to-be.

"I thought it was just all about us declaring that we were in love and getting married, but actually it's the world going, 'We love you too!' It's amazing. Family, friends, the world ... it's amazing," he said.

After the wedding, he added, "my mother is also waiting for Cumberbabies."

Comments