Dennis Rodman Plans New North Korea Trip, Hopes to Secure Release of Detained American
Dennis Rodman has some fighting words for President Obama, who he says has failed in his foreign policy toward North Korean and its leader Kim Jong-Un.
"We got a black president who can't even go talk to him," Rodman told celebrity website TMZ.com. "How about that one?"
Rodman announced his plans to visit North Korea on Aug. 1 and he's got a self-imposed mission.
He wants to secure the release of 44-year-old Korean American Kenneth Bae, who was recently sentenced to 15 years hard labor.
The former NBA player said he's going because he feels the White House has failed with its North Korea policy.
Earlier this year, Rodman visited North Korea and even spent time with the North Korean leader. The two bonded over their love of basketball.
Last week, Rodman tweeted this message to Kim Jong-Un: "…do me a solid and cut Ken Bae loose."
U.S. officials told ABC News that they are in touch with Bae's family.
The U.S. government is calling on the North Korean government to grant him amnesty.
The news of Rodman's trip comes as North Korea has been dialing back talk of war.
"At least Kim did one thing, he took the missiles back," Rodman said. "Thank you. Took the missiles back, right?"
After his earlier trip this year to North Korea, Rodman sat down in an exclusive interview with ABC News George Stephanopoulos in which he praised the North Korean leader.
"I don't condone what he does," Rodman said, "but as far as a person to person, he's my friend."