Monica Lewinsky Gets Trolled After Calling for End to Cyberbullying
Monica Lewinsky joined Twitter as part of an effort to raise awareness about cyberbullying. And in turn, got massively cyberbullied.
After sending out her first tweet Monday morning, Lewinsky, who now describes herself as the first person to be "destroyed by the Internet," quickly became a top trending topic on the social media site. Many of the reactions were snide or simply unkind.
@MonicaLewinsky hashtags are dead, ICYMI
- Alex Kantrowitz (@Kantrowitz) October 20, 2014
You'll get some abuse on here, but you'll just have to suck it up I'm afraid @MonicaLewinsky
- Jon-T (@AchtungJono) October 20, 2014
Serious inquiry. What are your thoughts on the T.V. series, "Scandal"? @MonicaLewinsky
- K. (@Krislisisms) October 20, 2014
@MonicaLewinsky your mouth ruined a country.
- The Mauve Avenger (@NeenoPerry) October 20, 2014
@MonicaLewinsky I have a cigar with your name on it……
- Rumplestiltskin (@Jasonschear) October 20, 2014
@MonicaLewinsky Are you available for bachelor parties?
- Theophilos Hoopskirt (@Sharpinsky) October 20, 2014
Lewinsky said she anticipated it.
"There are those who say, Monica, why don't you just shut up? Why don't you just go away?" Lewinsky said at the Forbes 30 Under 30 summit just a few hours after joining Twitter. "They will say it today after this one, my first major public talk ever, and they will say it tomorrow, and the day after that."
Lewinsky appeared unfazed by the venom, judging by her tweet Monday night.
- Monica Lewinsky (@MonicaLewinsky) October 21, 2014