Here's How the Internet Freaked for the Few Minutes Gmail Was Down
Gmail experienced what appeared to be a brief, widespread outage this afternoon and the Internet promptly freaked out.
With their Friday afternoon GChat sessions abruptly cut short, Internet users from around the world took to Twitter to vent their frustration.
Pretty sure Gmail going down permanently is what ends up causing the zombie apocalypse.
- Cassius Michael Kim (@CassiusMK) January 24, 2014
Running around my house, putting stars and labels on random stuff.
- Kevin Roose (@kevinroose) January 24, 2014
i'm getting the fax machine down from the attic #gmail
- Vivian Schiller (@VivianSchiller) January 24, 2014
Has anyone made the "nationalize gmail" joke and/or serious suggestion yet?
- RMV (@boatfloating) January 24, 2014
Twitter: unrivaled efficiency and speed for identifying mild inconveniences. And earthquakes.
- Drake Martinet (@WithDrake) January 24, 2014
Oye, #gmail "ven acá"….
- José A. Delgado (@JoseADelgadoEND) January 24, 2014
I remember the Great Gmail Outage of Friday Afternoon fondly. Just me and @kenli, talking IRL. Those were the days.
- Peter Kafka (@pkafka) January 24, 2014
While Google hasn't issued an official statement on what went wrong, the outage curiously happened when Google's site reliability team was participating in an "Ask Me Anything" interview session on Reddit.
Right when Gmail goes down, Google's Site Reliability Engineers are doing a @reddit AMA http://t.co/3jGZEztKWX
- Caroline McCarthy (@caro) January 24, 2014
Meanwhile, Yahoo posted this #smugtweet.
Gmail is temporarily unavailable pic.twitter.com/KLNxcQ9zUP
- Yahoo (@Yahoo) January 24, 2014