This year, the first day of spring, or the vernal equinox, arrives the earliest since the late 19th century. Space.com reports the season has not come this early since 1896. To celebrate the already unseasonably warm weather, here's a list of free things to either cool down or fill up.
Be sure to check your local listing for participation and restrictions.
1. AmazonLocal, the deals service which launched last June of online retailing giant, Amazon, is offering a $5 for $10 gift card for U.S.-based customers. The gift card code is limited to one per person and can be used toward a Kindle, or any item sold on Amazon.
2. In celebration of the first day of spring, Outback Steakhouse is offering a free Bloomin' Onion appetizer with any purchase on March 20 at their restaurants.
3. Rita's Water Ice is celebrating its 20th annual first day of spring with a free regular size serving of Italian ice. Headquartered in Trevose, Pa., the company has over 550 stores in 18 states. The first day of spring has traditionally been a seasonal re-opening for many Rita's stores and an annual free ice giveaway day since 1992.
4. If you buy a Blizzard treat at a Dairy Queen, you can get a second one for just 99 cents through March 31. Dairy Queen fans in Michigan can get a free cone and help donate to the local Beaumont Children's Hospital on Tuesday.
5. Chili's restaurants are offering a free appetizer or dessert with an entree purchase with a printed coupon.
6. CVS is offering a free coupon for a free candy or beverage item if you register for their "Not a Money Trasher" Twitter party. The first 20,000 who sign up will get the coupon delivered by email on March 27, the Examiner reported.