Elisabetta Canalis Voted Off ‘Dancing With the Stars’

By Suzan Clarke

Sep 27, 2011 10:06pm
abc elisabetta canalis ss w jp 110908 wblog Elisabetta Canalis Voted Off Dancing With the Stars

Craig Sjodin/ABC News

Elisabetta Canalis, the Italian model and actress who has struggled through two weeks of competition, was voted off ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars” tonight.

Canalis and actor David Arquette were both in jeopardy of being eliminated, based on a combination of judges’ scores and audience votes.

After the announcement that she was the celebrity leaving the show, Canalis thanked all her supporters.

“For me, it was a gift … it was a great experience,” she said, smiling.

In scenes from her practice with pro partner, Val Chmerkovskiy, that aired before both performances, Canalis seemed at times to be frustrated about her own performance, noting that dancing was not easy for her.

Canalis — perhaps most famous in the United States for being George Clooney’s ex-girlfriend — turned in a disappointing performance in last week’s season 13 premiere, earning a score of 15 out of a possible 30 for her cha-cha. That was just one point more than the night’s low score from NBA player Metta World Peace (formerly Ron Artest). He was the first celeb dancer sent home.

Canalis turned in a much better performance last night. The judges praised her quickstep, awarding her and Chmerkovskiy a total of 21 points.

“It’s not great, but it was better than last week,” judge Len Goodman told the pair after their dance. Fellow judges Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Toniolo gave far more favorable feedback.

Author and activist Chaz Bono had last night’s lowest scores, with 17 points, while former talk show host Ricki Lake topped the leaderboard with 23.

The competition continues Monday with Lake, Arquette,  Bono, TV star Kristin Cavallari, TV host Nancy Grace, reality TV personality Rob Kardashian,  fashion guru Carson Kressley , Iraq war veteran and actor J.R. Martinez , singer Chynna Phillips and World Cup star Hope Solo.

Canalis and Chmerkovskiy appeared on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” on Tuesday after their exit from the show, and Kimmel asked the two if they felt they were penalizing for being foreigners.

“I hope not — I think of course we have a big fan base, that everybody has…[but] I’m not American,  I’m not a celebrity here,” Canalis said.

The model then admitted that she did not vote her herself in this week’s competition.

“I was at the restaurant, and my phone didn’t have a battery. I had  my friend calling, but it was not enough!” she laughed. “Okay, it’s my fault ’cause I didn’t vote the 12 times.”

Canalis also responded to Khloe Kardashian’s slam against her on Twitter last week, where Kardashian  wrote: “HOW IS ELISABETTA SAFE?!??! HOW?! Seriously!!!”

Khloe Kardashian wrote the Tweet in agreement with her older sister Kourtney’s shocked tweet that their brother, ‘Dancing’ competitor Rob Kardashian, found himself in last week’s bottom three.

“I think they were just supporting their brother,”  Canalis said, before thanking the producers, make-up artists and other behind-the-scenes talent working on “Dancing with the Stars.”

The interview was followed by the “burning of the capezios” a tradition on Kimmel’s show where he torches the losing contestants dancing shoes.

SHOWS:
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus