Anthony Sedlak, Celebrity Chef and TV Host, Dead at 29

Jul 10, 2012 7:23am
ht anthony sedlak dm 120710 wblog Anthony Sedlak, Celebrity Chef and TV Host, Dead at 29

Food Network Canada

No foul play is suspected in the death of Anthony Sedlak, an award-winning Canadian celebrity chef and television host, North Vancouver police said today. He was 29.

Sedlak, the host of Food Network Canada’s “The Main” and a judge on “Family Cook Off,” was found dead Friday in his North Vancouver apartment at about 7 p.m. PT. The exact time of death is still to be determined.

Sedlak discovered a passion for cooking at a young age, beginning work at a the Grouse Mountain cafeteria in British Columbia at age 14, and quickly moved onto other area kitchens while eventually completing the Culinary Art Program at Vancouver’s Carson Graham Secondary School.

At 20, he headed to London, where he worked at La Trompette restaurant, working under Chef Olivier Couillaud. After gaining this experience, he returned to Vancouver, where he landed a position as sous-chef at The Observatory.

A wunderkind chef by the age of 23, Sedlak represented his country at the World Junior Chef Challenge in Auckland, New Zealand, where he won the silver medal. At 24, he competed in the Food Network’s “Superstar Chef Challenge.”

In October 2007, Sedlak began to host “The Main” on Canada’s Food Network, a show that had him preparing a dish featuring one main ingredient. The show ran for four seasons.

Sedlak’s representative Pamela Singh told ABC News that she was unaware of any health problems in his past. She said that more information regarding his death will be available later this week.

The North Vancouver police confirmed to ABC News that there will be no criminal investigation. It is unclear whether an autopsy will be beneficial to the investigation, a representative for the British Columbia Coroners Service said today.

Kevin Porter, the general manager of the Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites, had been working with Sedlak on reinventing the restaurants and room service menus at the hotels for the past four months. He said Sedlak had displayed no sign of health problems.

Porter said Sedlak’s charisma and talent were a natural fit to work on the hotel’s new menus.

“He has a lot of passion for what he does,” Porter said. “He put food on the table for Canadian families. The passion that he has for what he does got people involved in cooking again. He’s a guy that was bigger than life. On television as well as behind the scenes.”

A statement from the Sedlak family thanks his fans for their love and condolences. A private funeral service will be held for Sedlak in Vancouver.

SHOWS:
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus