Singer-songwriter Tori Kelly just turned 21 and already her album, “Handmade Songs,” which she recorded in her bedroom, is a top-ten bestseller on iTunes. Her music has had 30 million views on YouTube.
Kelly has devoted her strong vocals and acoustic sound to a cause — the 2013 Child Hunger Ends Here campaign. More than one in five children in this country may not know where their next meal is coming from, according to a USDA report. To raise awareness about child hunger issues, Kelly will go on a tour across America, bring her music and message to food banks and soup kitchens.
She was recruited by Scooter Braun Projects and ConAgra Foods for the 2013 Child Hunger Ends Here campaign and wrote “Fill a Heart” in support of the partnership. She appeared live on “Good Morning America” today to perform the song.
Besides her philanthropy, here are five things you should know about Kelly.
1. Musical Beginnings: She started singing at age 3, playing drums at age 12 and playing piano and guitar at age 15. In 2004, before she turned 12, she won the “America’s Most Talented Kids” competition, singing Christina Aguilera’s “Keep On Singin’ My Song.”
2. Favorite Candy: Sour Patch Kids
3. Favorite Movie: “Bridesmaids.”
4. Pets: She has two dogs, Rico and Roxy
5. Her Musical Influences: Michael Jackson, Jeff Buckley, John Mayer, Jill Scott, and gospel artists such as Crystal Lewis and J. Moss.