With the news breaking Monday that Dakota Johnson will star as Anastasia Steele in the “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie, fans around the globe are asking, “Who exactly is Dakota Johnson?”
There are a few things you need to know about the woman, 23, who will be getting all of Christian Grey’s attention on screen. This is no small role with A-listers like Emma Watson and Shailene Woodley rumored for the bondage-heavy part before Johnson.
Here are five key points on the woman who was cast alongside Charlie Hunnam in one of 2014′s most anticipated films.
- She’s Hollywood royalty. Johnson’s parents are none other than Melanie Griffith, 56, and “Miami Vice” icon Don Johnson, 63. The “Working Girl” actress and proud mother Monday tweeted, “My beautiful child Dakota has been chosen to play Anna Steele in 50 Shades. Look out world!”
- She had a fling with Justin Timberlake … well, maybe just in a movie. She had a small role opposite the “Sexy Back” singer in “The Social Network.” Remember the girl whom JT, who played Sean Parker in the movie, wakes up next to and then heads into the shower? Yeah, that’s Johnson.
- Like her mother, she’s a former model. She signed with IMG Models in 2006 and modeled for Mango Jeans a few years later. She also did a Teen Vogue shoot when she was 12.
- She has used handcuffs before. Johnson had a prominent role in 2012′s reboot of “21 Jump Street” opposite Channing Tatum. She played an undercover cop, so Grey definitely has his hands full with this one.
- This isn’t her first starring role. Despite the fact that she’s a relative unknown, “Fifty Shades” is not the first project where Johnson has been the leading lady. It was only 16 episodes, but she starred as Kate Fox in “Ben and Kate,” a sitcom about an opposite-minded, yet close brother and sister. Thus, the spotlight and pressure is not new to our fair Dakota.