On Wednesday at 6:16 p.m., Gary Carl Simmons, 49, was executed by the state of Mississippi for a 1996 murder, in which Simmons, a butcher by trade, hacked his victim up with a cleaver and fed the man’s remains to alligators. Then he raped the dead man’s girlfriend.
Less than two hours before he received a lethal injection, prison officials noted that Simmons appeared “slightly more upbeat,” had refused a sedative and a shower, and eaten “at least half of his last meal… [having] sampled everything except one bag of chips.”
Moments before he was put to death, Simmons was “still eating” his last meal, according to a prison briefing.
The following list, according to the Mississippi Department of Corrections, is what that last meal consisted of — a menu totaling nearly 30,000 calories:
- 1 Pizza Hut Super Supreme pizza: tomato sauce, mushrooms, onions, jalapeño pepper slices and pepperoni
- 1 regular pizza: 3 cheeses, olives, bell peppers, tomato, garlic and Italian sausage
- 10 (8 oz) packs of Parmesan cheese
- 10 (8 oz) packs of Ranch dressing
- 1 (16 oz) family size bag of Doritos nacho cheese chips
- 8 oz of jalapeño nacho cheese
- 4o sliced jalapeño peppers
- 2 large strawberry milkshakes
- 2 (20 oz) Cherry Coke
- 1 super-sized order McDonald’s French fries (extra ketchup and mayonnaise)
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream