Prince Philip Hospitalized as a ‘Precautionary Measure’

Aug 15, 2012 11:13am
gty prince philip thg 120815 wblog Prince Philip Hospitalized as a Precautionary Measure

                                                                                         (Image Credit: Indigo/Getty Images)

 

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, was hospitalized today for a recurrence of the bladder infection he suffered from earlier this summer, Buckingham Palace sources said.

The prince has been admitted to the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary for investigation and treatment, according to the palace. He is likely to remain there for the next few days.

The palace said earlier today that he was hospitalized “as a precautionary measure.” He was taken by ambulance to the U.K. hospital.

The 91-year-old duke has had a number of health scares in recent years.

Prince Philip was hospitalized for a bladder infection during Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations in June.

The prince underwent minor surgery in December 2011 to open a blocked artery after suffering from chest pains.

He was hospitalized for a chest infection in 2008, but recovered quickly. Officials revealed in 2007 that he had been suffering from a heart condition since 1992.

The prince has made numerous public appearances recently, including at the London Olympics. He attended the opening ceremonies with his wife, Queen Elizabeth II, and he was in the stands at the equestrian arena to watch his granddaughter Zara Phillips compete.

He typically spends the summer months from late-July until mid-October in Balmoral in Scotland.

SHOWS:
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus