Tim Tebow Phones Crash Survivor After Twitter Campaign

Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic/Getty Images

New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow responded to a Twitter campaign asking him to call a teen who was injured in a car accident that left two of his friends dead.

Tebow called Matt Hardy, 17, of Albany, N.Y., Monday night, about two hours after #TebowCallMatt started to trend nationally on Twitter, according to ESPN.

"Thanks to everyone who got #TebowCallMatt trending & helped connect us," tweeted Tebow. "Matt truly inspired me. God bless y'all."

Hardy's mother, Patricia, told ABC News affiliate WTEN-TV Monday night that Tebow spoke to her son.

"It was very uplifting for him after he'd been a part of a very tragic situation," she said. "He'd been a fan of Tim Tebow's for the longest time, so it put a smile on his face."

Matt Hardy and his friend Bailey Wind, 17, survived a Saturday night crash that left their two friends, Chris Stewart and Deanna Rivers, both 17, dead.

Officials told WTEN that the teens were leaving a sports game when another vehicle, driven by Dennis Drue, 22, hit Stewart's Ford Explorer.

Drue failed a sobriety test at the scene of the accident, police told the Times Union. Charges against Drue are pending.

More than 50,000 Twitter users had retweeted the hashtag #TebowCallMatt, according to ESPN.

Another Twitter campaign took off at the same time asking Olympic gold medalist Missy Franklin to call Wind. More than 16,000 retweeted #MissyCallBailey, according to ESPN.

"Called Bailey and left her a voicemail. Would still love to talk to her. Bailey and her community are in my thoughts and prayers #staystrong," Franklin tweeted Monday.

Hardy's friends at Shenendehowa High School in Clifton Park, N.Y., began the Twitter trend that went viral.

"This is incredible, I'm at a loss for words right now," Troy Farkas told WTEN. "Matt means so much to us. He's the lucky one out of this accident. He's lost everything right now, and we just want to brighten his day."

Hardy and Wind remain hospitalized for their injuries, but were able to attend a Tuesday night vigil honoring Stewart and Rivers, according to the Times Union.

Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...