#1 Source of News and Information Online
Five Co-Produced Video Series Watched over 100 Million Times in 2012
ABC News Mobile Traffic Triples Year Over Year
Every day millions of users are turning to the Yahoo!-ABC News Network to be informed and inspired. In 2012, the Yahoo!-ABC News Network maintained its position as the #1 source of news and information online for 12 consecutive months, serving over 85 million users per month on average. Election Night proved to be the most successful joint live video event in the history of the Yahoo!-ABC News Network, with combined traffic of nearly 10 million live video streams across ABCNews.com and mobile, the Yahoo! News Control Room, YouTube and other partner sites.
Throughout 2012, ABC News and Yahoo! News delivered robust, live-stream coverage of the biggest events and key moments in the race to the White House, anchored by GMA Weekend anchor Dan Harris, along with the ABC News and Yahoo! News powerhouse political team. Beyond election coverage, the Yahoo!-ABC News Network has led the digital space in other key areas, from original web-only video content to live stream events. In the month of December 2012, the Yahoo!-ABC News Network reached 90 million unique users.
Original, Digital Video Content:
ABC News and Yahoo! News’ original, digital video series were the most watched news and information programs online. In fact, the five co-produced series were watched over 100 million times in 2012 and include:
- “Power Players” a weekday politics show featuring George Stephanopoulos, Martha Raddatz, Jonathan Karl, Rick Klein and Yahoo! News’ Olivier Knox. The “Power Players” weekly line-up includes: George’s Bottom Line, Top Line, and the recently launched Politics Confidential with Jonathan Karl and On the Radar with Martha Raddatz.
- “Around the World with Christiane Amanpour” features one of the most recognized foreign affairs voices tackling international issues from gender equality in the Arab World to Ghadafi’s final interview. The show is distributed internationally and is an honoree in the 2012 Webby awards.
- “This Could be Big with Bill Weir” highlights the future of technology and innovation from the coolest gadgets to the greatest thinkers, scientists and businesses that could change our world and the way we navigate it.
- “Newsmakers” features ABC News’ award-winning anchors and correspondents interviewing the most compelling people from politicians to entertainers. The series has delivered exclusive access to newsmakers such as Syria’s President Assad, President Obama, Bill Gates, Mitt and Ann Romney, Ben Bernanke, all of the Republican presidential candidates in one day, Mark Zuckerberg and more. ABC News and Yahoo! News also hosted “Newsmakers Live” at the 2012 RNC and DNC, which featured live interviews with the architects of the Romney and Obama campaigns.
- “Katie’s Take” invites viewers to join Katie Couric as she takes a closer look at the hottest news in health, wellness, culture and parenting.
Live Stream Video:
When news breaks, users turned to the Yahoo!-ABC News Network for live coverage of the stories and events that matter most. Throughout 2012, millions of users looked to ABC News-Yahoo! News live stream for the biggest moments of the year. Some live event highlights include:
- Election Night 2012: Over the course of the Election, coverage of the 2012 Republican and Democratic National Conventions, the Presidential and Vice Presidential Debates and Election Night produced more than 20 million live video streams across ABC News, Yahoo! News and other partner sites. To deliver the full picture to viewers, the ABC News-Yahoo! News Live Stream combined untraditional social media surveys with premium ABC News content to engage viewers on the issues they valued most. Other live stream events in 2012 included coverage of Superstorm Sandy and the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
- “After:” A new, live, anchored morning program produced the day after each event that offers a complete wrap-up along with detailed, anchored analysis.
Goodmorningamerica.com on Yahoo!:
In 2012, GoodMorningAmerica.com on Yahoo! remained the number #1 morning news website, surpassing Today.com by millions of users every month. GoodMorningAmerica.com continues to produce original and live video content that engages viewers anytime, anywhere. This includes:
- “GMA Live:” This 15-minute digital extension of America’s favorite morning news show launched in 2012 and invites users to weigh in on hot topics and trending stories through Facebook, Twitter and dynamic polling features powered by GoPollGo, accessible on Goodmorningamerica.com on Yahoo!, gma.yahoo.com/live and abcnews.go.com/live.
- GMA on Social: This month Good Morning America had almost 2 million Twitter followers and over 1 million “likes” on Facebook.
ABC News Mobile:
ABC News Digital experienced tremendous growth across ABC News mobile sites and applications in 2012. In the month of November, year-over-year monthly page views increased 88% and video views increased by 147%, while total downloads across all ABC News apps surpassed over 8 million. On Election Night traffic across ABC News mobile products soared, producing 450,000 live video streams. To deliver an optimized mobile experience for users, ABC News offered:
- A complete mobile app suite for iPhone, Android, and iPad with a wide variety of features from real-time election results to live-streamed video.
- News highlights available for the ABC News Windows 8 app.
The ground-breaking partnership between ABC News and Yahoo! News, which started in 2011, formed a combined digital newsroom that continues to enhance the overall user experience for news consumers. The Yahoo!-ABC News Network looks forward to delivering more original content, more live video experiences and more interactive features that will inspire, inform and drive the conversation online in 2013.
About ABC News
ABC News delivers a big picture understanding of the world to empower and inspire viewers to make confident decisions for themselves and their families. More people get their news from ABC News than from any other source. ABC News is responsible for all of the ABC Television Network’s news programming on a variety of platforms: television, radio, and the Internet. With an average television and radio audience of 180 million people in a given month, ABC News surpasses the competition. More than 2,400 affiliate stations broadcast ABC News Radio’s global news coverage. In addition, ABC News NOW is a 24-hour news and information network currently available to 44 million users across cable, broadband, and mobile platforms. NewsOne, the affiliate news service of ABC News, provides live and packaged news, sports, and weather reports, as well as footage of news events, to 200 ABC affiliates and more than 30 domestic and international clients.