A 3-year-old Arizona boy is being hailed as a hero after calling 911 to save the life of his mom when he saw her suffering from a seizure.
Katie Fritzsche, of Mesa, was at home playing board games with her son, Guy, on Sept. 6, when she suddenly started having a seizure. Fritzsche, 38, has a seizure disorder but had not had an episode since 2006.
Guy picked up the family's home phone and dialed the three numbers he knew to call, 9-1-1.
"The next thing I knew I woke up and my house was filled with firefighters and paramedics," Fritzsche told Goodmorningamerica.com. "I said, 'How did you get here?,' and they said, 'Your son called.'"
"I said, 'My son is 3,'" Fritzsche recalled.
Guy had in fact called for help and stayed on the phone with the 911 dispatcher until paramedics arrived. He even knew to lock up the family's dog when the police arrived so that the dog wouldn't bother them.
"My mom is not feeling better," Guy can be heard saying on the 911 calls. "My mom's whole body is wiggling."
Fritzsche says she and her husband, Dave, hadn't talked often with Guy about calling 911 but that a scary episode in March, when Guy swallowed hydrogen peroxide, may have inadvertently saved her own life months later.
"He was really excited that all these firefighters were in his house to check on him," Fritzsche said of the incident, in which Guy was fine. "We talked about how we called 911 in real emergencies and we thought this was a real emergency because he was sick."
Fast forward to September, and Guy knew that his mom was in a "real emergency."
"He still talks about it," Fritzsche said. "He says that you have to call 911 when it's a real emergency."
Guy, who has overcome his own health problems, including heart surgery at 9-months-old to repair a murmur and both of his heart valves, was one of three citizens honored by the city of Mesa Thursday with a Good Samaritan award.
"He loved it," said Fritzsche, who was hospitalized for a few days after her seizure and is now fine. "He said, 'I'm a hero.'"