By Dr. Jennifer Ashton:
I’m always on the hunt for a fun activity that is also a great muscular and cardiovascular workout. Skating — either ice hockey or figure skating — definitely fits the bill, so we chose skating as our first focus for my healthy living series on ABC.
As you can see from the video, I’m not the most comfortable skater out there. So I brought in expert figure skating coach Bridie Myles to help. She explained how skating engages your glutes, your core and your thighs, not to mention your arms, which help you maintain stability. I can tell you that it also provides a really enjoyable way to burn calories and rev your metabolism.
Benefits of Skating:
- It provides a total body workout
- It burns calories and serves as a good cardiovascular exercise
- It improves balance
- It’s great as a group or solo activity
Tips for Beginners:
- Take a lesson (or two)
- Consider helmet and wrist guards
- Go at off-hours when rink is not as busy
- Talk to your doctor if you take blood thinners or could be pregnant
I hope this will encourage you to think about skating as a fun, different and effective way to exercise.