Although you might prefer the classic peanut butter and jelly packed in a brown paper bag, we’ve found some updated versions of the sandwich in honor of National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day.
Chefs around the country use comfort foods, like PB&J, as inspiration for new menu items. Be brave and try one of the items below in honor of this national holiday:
1. The Malibu Inn‘s Deep Fried PB&J: Make this amazing sandwich at home by dipping your sandwich in pancake batter and deep-frying it. Dust with powdered sugar for a finishing touch.
2. Dirty Bird’s PB&J Wings: These unusual fried wings are tossed in peanut sauce and then drizzle in strawberry sauce.
3. Grant Grill’s Peanut Butter Mousse Dessert: Chef Chris Kurth has created a refined peanut butter dessert for grown-ups. Strawberry basil ice cream gives a subtle nod to the strawberry jam of our youth.
4. PBJ’s Smokin Goat: This Oregon-based cart offers a unique spin on the sacred sandwich, with kalamata olive bread, almond butter, bacon, goat cheese and fig jam.
5. Peanut Butter & Co’s Pregnant Lady: Filled with peanut butter and pickles, this is a sandwich we think Snooki would love.