This week on “Good Morning America,” a panel of beauty experts has helped Glynette Ford and Nitza Lipp knock 10 years off their appearances.
Other lucky viewers will also get the help of makeup artist-to-the-stars Bobbi Brown, style guru Gretta Monahan, hair stylist Angelo David and dentist Dr. Nancy Rosen.
You, too, can benefit from the “GMA” beauty panel’s expertise. Take a look at the quick tips they’ve provided to help you perform your 10-years-younger makeover at home.
Gretta Monahan’s Style Tips to Look Your Best
1. Wearing clothing that is ill-fitted and too big instantly adds age. Always choose fitted clothing over shapeless items.
2. Don’t hide or cover your neck. V-necks are the most youthful and flattering neckline.
3. Shop for comfort cautiously. Jeans that have too much stretch fiber are not good because they don’t hold their shape and smoothness. Too much stretch can also cause fabric dimples and create an old, saggy look on the body. Look for jeans that have no more than 2% elastane and spandex, the rest needs to be cotton.
4. The right bra will instantly take off 10 years and 10 pounds. A misfiring bra with too little structure or a stretched out back will make your waistline disappear. Your posture will look frumpy and old.
5. Bright and rich colors will take years off your look instantly, especially when near the face. Black is great to slim. You can add color, youth and flair with scarfs, jewelry and accessories.
6. Spanx are not just for special occasions. From feeling your best in jeans to dresses, take a cue from the celebs and find a smoothing undergarment that feels good enough to wear daily. You will like your look better and feel more confident knowing there are no lines and dents. My favorite is a high-waisted bike short.
7. Don’t wear old lady shoes. Playing it “safe” is a sure fire way to look old instantly. If you prefer neutral colors, no problem, just make sure you are not buying a clunky heavy sole, bulky boots or unstructured sloppy slipper.
8. A heel will always be more flattering. If you prefer, go for the platform sole that offers the most protection and stability. If you must go a flat, than do a chic ballet flat that fully cover the foot.
Bobbi Brown’s 10 Tips for a “Makeup Facelift”
1. Hydrate. The first thing I do every morning when I wake up is to drink a big glass of water. When I’m hydrated, my skin is noticeably fuller and looks healthy and glowing.
2. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize. Nothing lessens the look of fine lines and gives skin a smoother, plumped-up look faster than moisturizer. Don’t be afraid to layer moisturizers if you’re feeling especially tired. I recommend layering a wet, hydrating face cream and a rich, dense balm to give skin a plumped-up, cushiony look.
3. Brighten Up. Under-eye circles can become more pronounced as we get older, making us look more tired and worn down. Lighten the under-eye area with my “secret to the universe:” corrector and creamy concealer. First, apply a pink- or peach-toned corrective concealer to correct the darkness, and then conceal with a yellow-toned concealer. Be sure to apply it right up to the lash line.
4. Even the Playing Field. Years of sun exposure (do your kids a favor and slather them in SPF now) can cause uneven skin tone, whether it’s dark spots or redness. Apply a Tinted Moisturizer or BB Cream to make your skin look smooth and even.
5. Pop of Color. I always say that nothing makes you look more fresh and healthy than a pop of blush on the cheeks, like you’ve just come in from the outdoors. Apply by dusting onto the apples of your cheeks in an upward motion toward your hairline.
6. Line and Define. Fill your eyebrows in if they’ve become a bit sparse from years of plucking. Especially if you’ve started to wear glasses, defined brows ensure that the glasses don’t overpower your face. If you like to wear eyeliner, try a softer color like a navy or chocolate brown. Black can start to look harsh and make the eyes appear to be smaller.
7. Open Eyes. Curling your eyelashes will open them up and make eyes appear larger. Layer on waterproof mascara so it doesn’t come off on your eyelids or eyeglass lenses.
8. Get a Glow. While I’m a firm believer in SPF, I do think a sun-kissed look makes your skin appear healthy and counteracts any sallowness you have. You can achieve this by dusting on a bronzer – focus on the areas where the sun hits – forehead, chin, nose and cheekbones.
9. Lip Service. Women often complain that their lips look thinner as they get older. Apply a creamy formula lipstick to hydrate and soften the lips, and then fill in afterwards with a lip liner to help them look fuller. Lastly, layer a light shade of light-reflecting, high-skin lip gloss on top.
10. Nail It. Hands and nails can often betray your age. Be sure to moisturize your hands and wear SPF on them. If your nails are brittle, cut them short, and apply a dark color like a navy, or port, to them. It looks refined, but modern, and is the first thing a person will notice when looking at your hands.
Joey Healy’s Brow Tips to Look Younger
1. A thicker brow can make you look younger, fresher and better rested. Do not over-pluck.
2. Use a great brow pencil or brow powder that matches you hair tone. Simply fill in your eyebrows if over-plucked or over-arched. You want a brow that is thick yet manicured.
3. The highest point of the brow should be about two-thirds of the way out, not in the middle of the brow.
4. The tail of your eyebrow should extend to the corner of your eye, and can be even longer if it doesn’t end vertically lower than the point where your brow begins — you want a lifted shape, not a droopy one.
5. Always brush your brows upward at a 45 degree angle to open up the eye.
Dr. Rosen’s Tips for Healthier Teeth
1. Make sure you brush and floss daily.
2. See your dentist at least two times per year for checkups and cleanings.
3. You don’t have to give up all the staining liquids and food you love, but try to rinse your mouth with water or drink some water after.
4. Drink staining liquids through a straw.
5. Eat hard, crunchy fruits and veggies to remove surface stains and keep your waistline happy.
6. Chew sugarless gum to stimulate saliva in your mouth.
7. Use whitening toothpaste to keep surface stain to a minimum in between whitening treatments.
8. To make your teeth look white, use a lipstick or lip gloss with red or blue tones rather than brown or orange hues.