Baby Steps For Big Impact: Better Nutrition In 1,000 Days

By Million Moms Challenge

Sep 29, 2011 11:00am

By Lucy Martinez Sullivan

OPINION

It is strange to think that the effect of what a child eats during the 1,000 days between when he is in his mother’s womb and his 2nd birthday can last a lifetime.  Yet science shows us that poor nutrition during these 1,000 days can cause severe and irreversible damage to a child’s body and brain.  The good news is that malnutrition is a problem we know how to solve.

It all starts with baby steps.

Today, simple, affordable solutions exist to help kids survive and thrive beyond their 2nd birthday.  These high-impact, low-cost nutrition solutions can mean the difference between a child who faces a lifetime of health and developmental challenges and one that is able to grow, learn, rise out of poverty, and live a healthy life:

Making sure moms-to-be get iron and folic acid supplements.  In the U.S., most expectant moms understand the importance of a good pre-natal vitamin.  But in poor countries, many women don’t know about or have access to vitamins and minerals that are absolutely essential to their well-being and the well-being of their babies.  Ensuring that a pregnant woman gets the iron and folic acid she needs to safely deliver a healthy baby can cost as little as $10 per woman.  Simple iron and folic acid supplements can help prevent women and babies from dying during and after childbirth. They can also help prevent birth defects and long-term mental and learning disabilities in children.

Giving infants and toddlers a nutrition boost. Many new moms in poor countries lack the knowledge and resources to ensure that their young children get the right nutrition in their first two years.  New innovations like Sprinkles — vitamins for infants and toddlers in powdered form that can be sprinkled onto any cooked food—are being used to give young kids around the world a healthy start at life.  At a cost of pennies per packet, these vitamin powders are an inexpensive yet highly effective way to help prevent serious nutritional deficiencies in children.

Encouraging baby-friendly feeding practices.  Breastfeeding is a low-cost solution that could save the lives of over one million children every year. Breast milk contains all the nutrients a baby needs in the first six months of life. It protects against common childhood diseases such as diarrhea and pneumonia, and may also have longer-term benefits such as lowering mean blood pressure and cholesterol, and reducing the prevalence of type-2 diabetes. Yet most mothers in poor countries don’t know about the benefits of breastfeeding and don’t get the right kind of support to learn when or how to breastfeed their babies.   Getting hospitals and health workers to promote breastfeeding is a smart, cost-effective way to change this and it only costs about $0.40 per baby.

Baby steps can translate into great strides. By improving nutrition for moms and babies during the all-important 1,000 days, we can save lives and help break the cycle of poverty.  It doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. It just takes commitment. Join us at thousanddays.org  and learn more.

Lucy Sullivan is the Director of 1,000 Days, an initiative launched by the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) and InterAction, a coalition of U.S.-based international relief and development organizations, in collaboration with the U.S. Department of State, to promote action and investment in improving maternal and child nutrition during the critical 1,000 day window from pregnancy to age two.

User Comments

There are tons of good tv shows to choose from to say it’s the best. No matter what is said though, there is no doubt that this show ranks in the top 10 of all of them. Yes, there are shows that are a bit newer but this one still has charm. There is comedy, wit, and a little politics, easily moving it up to the top. They just don’t make them like this nowadays.

Posted by: Eye Floaters | October 1, 2011 2:51 am

Hey, nice post, really well written. You should post more about this.

Posted by: Pablo Dziewanowski | October 2, 2011 8:09 pm

I’m agitated all these post directories. It confident would be good to have every post directory that instantly accepts articles.

Posted by: Clifton Hoecker | October 2, 2011 9:48 pm

Great Information as always!

Posted by: Baby Store | October 2, 2011 11:40 pm

Eye floaters are the worst thing that could happen to people. I don’t wish these upon anybody! I have found that eye drops do work however.

Posted by: Eye Floaters | October 3, 2011 2:52 am

I have been trying to find your Facebook page so I can like it because i have really appreciated seeing your web blog! Thanks again

Posted by: Healthy Body | October 3, 2011 10:13 am

Hey there, I’ve got to say I really like your site however I believe your content would Without a doubt benefit from downloading the SEOpressor plugin.

Posted by: Wally Rossum | October 8, 2011 1:56 am

please see this as i couldnt reach you throught e-mail http://www.9oul.com/cash7

Posted by: Basil Musca | October 11, 2011 6:47 am

Sweet post. Found this messing about on Google last night and said I’d leave a comment lol. You’ve got a flair for writing, do you write everything yourself? I write now and again, but not as good as this. Anyway, nice job!

Posted by: Javier Tennessee | October 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Howdy Is fantastic submit

Posted by: Jeramy Templer | October 12, 2011 7:54 am

I like when you talk about this type of stuff in your blog. Perhaps could you continue to do this?

Posted by: Jesus Kundla | October 13, 2011 11:52 am

baby gifts marrow unpremeditated loose handset rocket lake stoical paradoxical fringe a organize

Posted by: Lindy Lalinde | October 13, 2011 11:54 am

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Posted by: Bradly Warn | October 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Someone essentially help to make seriously articles I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish amazing. Excellent job!

Posted by: Baby Nutrition Care | October 14, 2011 4:48 am

While tips for remodeling tiny bathrooms are aimed more for convenience, some suggestions are indeed aimed to be aesthetically pleasing even though maintaining space-effectiveness. Like for instance the Wasauna Bathroom Vanity Table WAS-0003 also at wasauna.com. tabletop integration is not an oft utilized style, and this vanity, even though sporting the tabletop design also features a tempered glass sink. This package also includes a mirror along with a mini shelf.

Posted by: moncler long jackets | October 14, 2011 8:16 am

Ess vie ein foygl sheise vie ein ferd!

Posted by: christmas gifts for goths | October 14, 2011 4:21 pm

O thanks for your post will came an see more of this blog that is awesome

Posted by: soluciones para adelgazar en casa | October 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Life is a comedy to those who think; a tragedy to those who feel.

Posted by: baby bassinet stroller | October 14, 2011 5:39 pm

A bore is someone who persists in holding his own views after we have enlightened him with ours.

Posted by: baby bassinets for boys | October 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Generally I don’t read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite nice article.

Posted by: top ten highest paying jobs | October 17, 2011 5:05 am

An additional issue is that video games are usually serious anyway with the key focus on finding out rather than amusement. Although, there is an entertainment aspect to keep your kids engaged, each and every game is generally designed to work towards a specific expertise or area, such as instructional math or scientific disciplines. Thanks for your write-up Baby Steps For Big Impact: Better Nutrition In 1,000 Days – ABC News.

Posted by: meg43tr44gi joe | October 18, 2011 10:14 pm

I have discovered some considerations through your site post. One other thing I would like to state is that there are plenty of games on the market designed particularly for toddler age kids. They consist of pattern identification, colors, wildlife, and forms. These typically focus on familiarization as opposed to memorization. This makes a child occupied without feeling like they are learning. Thanks for posting Baby Steps For Big Impact: Better Nutrition In 1,000 Days – ABC News.

Posted by: meg43tr44gi joe | October 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Following my exploration, thousands of persons all over the world get the home loans at good banks. So, there is good chances to receive a small business loan in any country.

Posted by: DarleneNielsen | October 20, 2011 3:57 am

Hello! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. Thank you!

Posted by: Zoe Picchetti | October 21, 2011 3:35 am

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

Posted by: facebook page design | October 21, 2011 10:03 am

Some readers might think there is a lot of information to digest in this article. I think it’s so clear and well formatted that it’s easy to read and digest. This writing is nicely done. http://www.samsung1080phdtv.net/

Posted by: samsung 1080p hdtv | October 21, 2011 6:48 pm

I have been in search of your particular Facebook page so I can like it as I have really enjoyed looking at your internet site! Thanks

Posted by: How To Lose Weight | October 22, 2011 9:29 am

Download error here is your download link we couldnt some how reach you with email

Posted by: Lyle Dakin | October 23, 2011 11:36 am

Finding a good vitamin is one of the key factors to living a vibrant life. For me, this vitamin has always proven to be the best. It just gives your soul what it needs and it doesn’t have all of those harmful side effects as all of the bad ones. It’s also one of the cheapest ones out there.

Posted by: Cancer Institute | October 23, 2011 6:07 pm

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

Posted by: Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition 64 Bit Key | October 24, 2011 5:02 am

The information is hugely nice. I’m recurrently a wordless reader however forced me to draft this time. splendid post.

Posted by: part time jobs in London | October 25, 2011 5:40 am

It appears that you’ve got put plenty of effort and exhausting work into your submit and I require far more of those on the net in present times. I sincerely obtained a kick out of your post. I don’t actually have significantly to say responding, I solely wished to remark to reply excellent work.

Posted by: omega 3 benefits | October 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due to no backup. Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

Posted by: steamboat | October 27, 2011 4:58 pm