Doing the Best I Can – Like the Hummingbird

By BlogFrog Bloggers

Oct 6, 2011 6:49pm

A typical little girl, in a Kenyan village, who spent her days fetching firewood and water for her large family, was expected to grow up like her mother – one of four wives, illiterate and subservient to her husband.  But the girl got a break at age seven. Her big brother recognized her innate intelligence and curiosity, and insisted she attend school.  She got another break when the United States sponsored scholarships for bright African students to pursue higher education in the U.S. (This was part of the “Kennedy Airlift” which also brought Barack Obama Sr. to study in America.)  When she returned to Africa, she continued to study, and also got married and had three children.  Her pregnancies might have followed the path of so many from her village, where today:

·       A woman in sub-Saharan Africa has a 1 in 16 chance of dying in pregnancy or childbirth, compared to a 1 in 4,000 risk in a developing country.  (Maternal health differences between the rich and poor globally are greater than the gaps from any other indicator.)

·       These maternal deaths are usually among the young and healthy.  Most could be prevented if communities simply had access to basic medical care and sanitary practices, as well as low-cost items like mosquito nets.

·       Many deaths are due to the fact that women don’t have access to hospitals; giving birth in a hospital setting is just too expensive.  In neighboring Tanzania today, a traditional birth attendant at home will charge about $2 per birth. A normal birth at the hospital costs about $6, an emergency Caesarean $15, according to a New York Times report.  These costs are out of reach for most women in this part of the world – even in a matter of life or death.

Thanks to the fact that this girl completed her schooling (girls’ education drastically improves maternal health), she wasn’t counted among those tragic statistics.  But she also didn’t avoid severe hardship.  While her children were young, her husband abandoned the family, purportedly stating she was “too educated, too strong, too successful, too stubborn and too hard to control.”  When she criticized the judge ruling in favor of her husband during divorce proceedings, he sentenced her to a six-month jail term – the first of her many prison stays for speaking out.

The woman I’m describing here is Wangari Maathai.  Her modest attempts encouraging tree planting among village women grew into a worldwide movement, and she became the first African woman to win a Nobel Peace Prize.

Her story demonstrates the amazing potential among those who might otherwise have been pitied as tragic statistics.  With some basic opportunities, stories of perseverance, courage, dignity and triumph can replace those of desperation and calamity.  We have it in us.

Professor Maathai embodied the ideal that small steps we each take will add up to make real impact.  Her poignant story of the hummingbird helps us envision how mighty even the frailest among us can be:   When fire breaks out in a huge forest, all the animals flee, except the hummingbird. The little bird flies back and forth, back and forth, filling its tiny beak with water. The other animals feel helpless and overwhelmed.  When they criticize the hummingbird’s attempts, the little bird answers, “I am doing the best I can.”

Professor Maathai adds, “I certainly don’t want to be like the animals watching as the planet goes down the drain. I will be a hummingbird. I will do the best I can.”  Watch her tell the story here.

Since Professor Maathai passed away on September 25, 2011, I can’t stop thinking about the hummingbird.  The problems of the world often feel overwhelming.  As a mother of three myself, just the challenges under my own roof can seem like too much.  This felt especially so during my pregnancies.  But I found stories of other women overcoming great obstacles, or tales of unlikely heroes like the little hummingbird to give me the strength and inspiration that I would want to pass along to each of my three daughters.  Just like taking my daily pre-natal vitamin, I digested the hummingbird’s mantra “I will do the best I can.”  The mindfulness and determination I gained during those deliberate, slowed-down moments have remained among the lasting, best parts of my pregnancies.

What have been the best or most difficult parts of your pregnancy?

Becoming pregnant changed my life, and I’d love to hear more about your best or most difficult pregnancy moments. By replying, you will be entered to win an exclusive Million Moms Challenge Gift Pack, which includes an all expenses paid trip to a conference on mothers hosted by the UN Foundation in DC (Jan/Feb 2012), an iPad2, a custom-made Million Moms Challenge pendant and $50 donation in your name to Global Giving.

Please join the Million Moms Challenge and sign up!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Million Moms Challenge. The opinions and text are all mine. Contest runs September 19 to October 16, 2011. A random winner will be announced by October 18, 2011.

Official Contest Rules

User Comments

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it, Good job My friend.

Posted by: Timberland Roll Tops | October 11, 2011 8:23 am

Who did you pay to do your blog? Its really nicely designed I bet that is why you get so much traffic!

Posted by: Cancer Institute | October 17, 2011 12:00 pm

This would have to be a new blog. Something that you want to read about, but havent found online. This can be religious, fashion-based, etc. Im just getting some ideas for the blog i want to start- Thanks!.

Posted by: online photography school | October 18, 2011 7:25 am

My name is Douglas and I run a website called http://cheapstairparts.com – We sell iron balusters, wood handrail, newels, stair treads and other stair parts. If you ever have a stair remodel project coming up in the future feel free to look us up. We give contractor discounts which also applies for designers, installers and people who are looking to resale. Thanks!

Posted by: Tawna Rudgers | October 18, 2011 2:48 pm

I especially like your last paragraph – and I did start a blog – two in fact – just a few months ago! I always write letters to my children at Christmas – sometimes more often, but at least once a year. They know their letters will be in their stockings! Probably wouldn’t do anything you said not to – just a little bit inhibited! But that’s just me. Congratulations on being freshly pressed!

Posted by: Acronis Coupon Code | October 18, 2011 3:28 pm

I have come across a company in Montreal that literally recycles material content . They even give a answer regarding timber: changing that throughout biomass.

Posted by: Recyclage Meubles | October 20, 2011 2:34 am

This really is closing soon, your final chance to profit http://9oul.com/cash

Posted by: Dick Berganza | October 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Relished reading this blog post. You definitely have a way with words that’s some what unique. We look forward to reading through more of your blog. Best of luck.

Posted by: windows hertfordshire | October 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Learn How to Get Pregnant More rapidly Naturally and give birth to healthful children Assured! – Uncover Tips to Getting Pregnant that has taught a huge number of females worldwide to conceive more rapidly than they ever thought achievable. Even when you’ve in no way succeeded to have pregnant just before.

Posted by: preparing to get pregnant | October 23, 2011 11:39 am

Learn How to Get Pregnant More quickly Naturally and give birth to wholesome children Assured! – Learn Tips to Getting Pregnant that has taught thousands of girls worldwide to conceive more rapidly than they ever thought potential. Even though you have under no circumstances succeeded to have pregnant just before.

Posted by: what to do to get pregnant | October 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Prediction This is certainly can be expected promote exercises via viewing basically highly developed monetary natural environment, money and additionally politics. The importance of all the outlook connected with trading price movements might be supposition. For the, a great many sources of information are offered to the actual forex individual (Reuters, Telerate, Bloomberg Gas) making it possible for a chance to access most offers along with fiscal guidance raised for its transacting. What’s more, it carries access to big financial data and therefore the offshore credit information. It can make a belief with the growth about price tags or else charges therefore you may anticipate coming trends.

Posted by: ruby knox video | October 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Wonderful site

Posted by: Allan | October 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Then, everyone would have a strong incentive to use fuel-efficient or electric vehicles, or public transportation (which would still pay the gas tax, but is more efficient per-rider). But it wouldn’t gouge the middle class. In fact it would probably help most of them a little financially.

Posted by: buy antabuse | October 25, 2011 8:18 pm

I read about studies that found people with unusual/wierd names just get left out for life. Especially with unpronounceable names. The hiring manager will just move on to the next application rather than risk embarrassing him/herself by mispronouncing an unusual name. On Yahoo Answers girls are always posting “what do you think of my baby’s name?” and without fail it’s some wierd, made-up name or a variant spelling of a common name. I really don’t care a fig what celebrities do. I just feel sorry for the kids of commoners who will grow up stunted by unusual/wierd/made-up names.

Posted by: inderal online | October 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Ridiculous.

Posted by: online keflex | October 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Exactly what I was thinking – not that I’ve benefited directly, but that these credits help foster the industry during the time it takes to develop efficient manufacturing processes, enhanced capabilities from the products, etc. The computer industry had the benefit of defense and government spending to help make their ‘business machines’ more accessible for corporations, then small businesses and eventually consumers.

Posted by: online levaquin | October 25, 2011 9:05 pm

It is nice to find a site about my interest. My first visit to your site is been a big help. Thank you for the efforts you been putting on making your site such an interesting and informative place to browse through. I’ll be visiting your site again to gather some more valuable information. You truly did a good job.

Posted by: Max | October 26, 2011 6:55 am

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

Posted by: buy twitter followers | October 26, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks for the blog topic. I just got online for the first time 2 monthsago. I am an addict, but enjoying the new found discovery. Thanks again.

Posted by: azithromycin online uk | October 26, 2011 12:55 pm

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

Posted by: Margit Bobbitt | October 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Just keep making good content. Precisely what I needed!

Posted by: ertergfdgdf | October 27, 2011 4:53 pm