It Was Then That I Realized…

By BlogFrog Bloggers

Oct 10, 2011 5:39pm

ABC News recently launched the Million Moms Challenge in conjunction with a variety of media partners, including mom bloggers, in an attempt to improve health for women and children across the world.

Today, I’d like to share with you the most difficult moment of my first pregnancy…a moment that I’ve not been ready to share until now.

“I see that your contractions are consistently three minutes apart,” the veiled urgency in the on-call doctor’s voice echoed in my ears.

Earlier that evening, I felt the contractions beginning.  By midnight, they were ten minutes apart, and we were on our way to labor and delivery.

At 24 weeks pregnant, I hadn’t reached the chapters in my pregnancy books that covered contractions. I hadn’t yet taken my childbirth class.

My husband and I listened with desperation as the doctor described what the coming hours would hold…an IV with drugs to stop the contractions, rest, and close monitoring.

Our unborn daughter weighed no more than a pound and was roughly twelve inches long.

Fear swirled in the tiny labor and delivery room.

There, in the darkened room, the terbutaline ran through the IV and the questions through my mind.

What if the drugs didn’t stop labor?

Could our baby survive?

What were her odds?

Would she die?

The doctor’s answers were heartbreaking in their honesty.

If they couldn’t stop labor, her chances for survival were so incredibly slim.

And if she lived, her struggles would be life defining.

For hours, we waited.

And prayed.

And made desperate bargains.

My husband and I watched the green display on the fetal monitor, fear increasing with each growing contraction.

Though he begged me to rest, to hand my worries over to him for a bit, I couldn’t bring myself to close my eyes…to look away from that which served as a connection to our baby girl.

Slowly, the contractions grew further apart until we were out of danger.

Within weeks of that night, I was placed on complete bedrest.  Still, my irritable uterus sent us to labor and delivery for ten subsequent visits before the night of my daughter’s birth.

Though our daughter, Katherine, was born just one day early, healthy and perfect, it was in that softly lit room at 24 weeks that I became a mother.

It was then that I realized my life had changed.

It was then that I realized her life had so completely changed mine.

It was then that I realized nothing would ever matter as much as my child.

newbornkatie 300x225 It Was Then That I Realized...

Becoming pregnant completely changed my life, and I’d love to hear more about your best or most difficult pregnancy moments. By simply replying, you will be entered to win an exclusive Million Moms Challenge Gift Pack, which includes an all expenses paid trip to a conference on mothers hosted by the UN Foundation in DC (Jan/Feb 2012), an iPad2, a custom-made Million Moms Challenge pendant and $50 donation in your name to Global Giving.

Please join the Million Moms Challenge and sign up!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Million Moms Challenge. The opinions and text are all mine. Contest runs September 19 to October 16, 2011. A random winner will be announced by October 18, 2011.

Official Contest Rules

User Comments

What a scary time especially with your first baby. Such a powerful line about WHEN you became a mother. Love the lines following. My most difficult? Besides our miscarriage when we found out we were having our 2nd son and the news to follow was concern around his heart. The worry and pain and the complete mixture of emotions around Wyatt having a baby brother and there being something possibly wrong after we had our lives flipped upside down just a few months prior was almost too much to take. I never sighed a bigger sigh once he was born and completely healthy and beautiful.

Posted by: tayarra | October 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I am only 6 weeks pregnant. So far, my best part was finding out that I’m pregnant. :)

10 times.. that’s just scary! I’m so happy that your beautiful daughter was born healthy!

Posted by: Melissa H. | October 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Wow very uplifting. So glad she was ok. Your writing speaks just how much you care and it is obviously quite a bit.

Posted by: Tim@sogeshirts | October 10, 2011 10:46 pm

This post took my breath away. I can only imagine the constant worry and concern you must have felt at every moment before you had your gorgeous baby in you arms!! You are so very strong.

Posted by: Hopes@Staying Afloat! | October 10, 2011 11:38 pm

What a scary thing to experience, and I am so glad the drugs worked so you could keep Katie in there for the long haul. I thought it was very powerful when you talked about that being when you became a mother. Early labor sounds terrifying.

Posted by: Angela | October 11, 2011 12:04 am

Love your Blog and every article.

Posted by: Supra Shoes UK | October 11, 2011 8:31 am

I tried so hard to get preganant with our first child. I remember when I finally was, I took 5 home pregnancies and then made the doctor’s do a test to. I still didn’t believe it, so they did an ultrasound. “It’s too early really to see anything…” They couldn’t find a heartbeat… I was so scared. It turned out fine, and our baby boy was 3 weeks late :)

Posted by: Bridgette | October 11, 2011 12:28 pm

I was looking for this. Truly refreshing take on the data. Thanks a lot.

Posted by: Indien Gew├╝rze | October 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

Posted by: Cheap Moncler Jackets | October 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Ive been recently this means you just read this particular and merely by no means purchased an opportunity. Its an element that Im truly enthusiastic about, I merely began studying as well as Im delighted I did so. Youre a wonderful blogger, one from the perfect in which I have seen. This blog site completely offers some information in subject that I just wasn’t aware of. Thanks regarding delivering these things in order to light.

Posted by: Kieth Pestoni | October 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Im acquiring the Error Generic Parsing Error message too at

Posted by: Myesha Sumter | October 13, 2011 5:49 am

Even though this idea is rare now, it is always something that needs to be written about. This was a great read.

Posted by: email marketing templates | October 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Blasphemy! LOL Just kidding. Ive read similar things on other blogs. Ill take your word for it. Stay solid! your pal.

Posted by: Child Helen | October 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks for that guide every little thing perform ok for your day then I acquired this Error Generic Parsing Error.

Posted by: Jarvis Daudelin | October 13, 2011 8:05 pm

yo is so magnificent seem that man engaging in peace though the photographs werent shade, this might be the initial hippy

Posted by: Carli | October 13, 2011 10:17 pm

While this idea is common in today’s world, this is still something that needs to be said. This was a great read.

Posted by: email marketing tips | October 13, 2011 10:42 pm

While this post is unique nowadays, this is still something that needs to be said. This was a superb article.

Posted by: e mail marketing | October 19, 2011 8:47 pm

she lookz creepy 042

Posted by: Sherryl | October 20, 2011 12:17 am

Even though this post is said often in this day and age, it is still something that needs to be written about. This was a decent post.

Posted by: email marketing tips | October 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Even though this point is common in this day and age, this is still something that needs to be commented on. It was a superb read.

Posted by: bulk email service | October 21, 2011 3:29 pm

While this point is said often today, this is always something that needs to be written about. It was a great read.

Posted by: bulk email marketing | October 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Even though this idea is rare nowadays, it is always something that needs to be remembered. This was a great read.

Posted by: email marketing tips | October 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Even though this view is unique in today’s world, this is always something that needs to be said. This was a superb article.

Posted by: direct email marketing | October 25, 2011 8:06 pm

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for great info I was looking for this information for my mission.

Posted by: quoka | October 27, 2011 8:06 pm