Cory Booker Takes The Million Moms’ Mayors Challenge

By Anna Maria Barry-Jester

Oct 13, 2011 4:51pm

Newark Mayor Cory Booker believes his home town should have the healthiest moms and babies in the United States. Today he is tweeting out to his 1.1 million followers to make sure New Jersey wins the bragging rights in a state Text4baby competition – as part of a new Million Moms’ Mayors Challenge.

Mayor Booker was the first official to take part in the Million Moms’ Mayors Challenge, a competition to see which mayor can help their city sign up the most moms for Text4baby,  a free service for pregnant women and new moms that sends three cell phone text messages a week with critical health tips that help moms and their babies stay healthy.

The statistics are stunning for newborn health in the United States: more than 500,000 babies are born prematurely and an estimated 28,000 children die before their first birthday each year.  Yet fewer than 250,000 women in the US have signed up for Text4Baby since it was launched in February 2010.

One of the goals of  the Million Moms Challenge, which is helping moms and babies around the world, is to sign up a million moms-to-be in the United States for this free service.

The mayors who join the challenge could help their state take the lead in Text4Baby’s State Enrollment Contest, a national competition to see which states could sign up the most women for the free texting service. The winners will be announced on November 1st at a reception in Washington, DC. So far, North Carolina, Wyoming, Delaware, New Hampshire and Alabama are in the lead. Which twitterati will join the challenge next and help their state take the lead, Chicago’s @RahmEmanuel? Los Angeles’ @villaraigosa?

All you mayors, senators, congressmen and governors, it’s not too late to take the challenge! A million babies will thank you.

ABOUT TEXT4BABY

Text4baby is the country’s first free, health education program providing timely tips and expert advice directly to the cell phones of pregnant women and new moms.  By texting “BABY” (or “BEBE” for Spanish) to 511411, women receive weekly text messages, timed to their due date or their baby’s birth date through the baby’s first year of life. The messages, which have been developed in collaboration with government and nonprofit health experts, deal with nutrition, immunization and birth defect prevention, among other topics.

User Comments

Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

Posted by: moncler jackets | October 17, 2011 10:41 am

a good deal addiitional info along with this sort of issue on websites, observe.

Posted by: Herta Sempertegui | October 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Thanks again for your sharing my friend. You may be older on the outside but I’m sure your mind is as young as ever. All the best.

Posted by: moncler jackets uk outlet | October 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Hello webmaster I like your post ….

Posted by: Wendolyn | October 18, 2011 5:58 am

I am apart of a commitee that is trying to start a clothing company. I am in charge of designing the clothing website because for right now you can only order stuff online. But I was just wondering how do you start a website for a clothing company? What are some good domain places to sign up for a domain..

Posted by: complementary colors in photography | October 18, 2011 10:28 am

i need to write more content like that.

Posted by: Song Sarette | October 19, 2011 5:30 am

first time I read this web.. very interactive content .. thank you very much dude..!

Posted by: calculate pregnancy | October 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Nice point’s altogether, personally I’m going to have to bookmark this and come back to it. I like this subject matter and I wish to read more.

Posted by: Spot Philippine Islands | October 25, 2011 10:06 am

The root of your writing whilst sounding reasonable initially, did not sit perfectly with me after some time. Somewhere throughout the sentences you managed to make me a believer unfortunately only for a short while. I nevertheless have a problem with your jumps in assumptions and you might do nicely to fill in all those breaks. In the event that you can accomplish that, I will definitely be fascinated.

Posted by: Livia Schield | October 25, 2011 1:02 pm

We just entered our tiny little Sarah in the $2500 Online Photo Contest . Assumed you desire to learn about it also!

Posted by: Deann Seyfert | October 25, 2011 10:45 pm

I find baby care quite aggravating however satisfying. One instant the baby can be screaming the second they can be playful and cheerful. At the end of the day, We’re spent!

Posted by: Tashia Capo | October 26, 2011 6:01 am