Obama Administration Denies Benghazi Whistleblowers Being Kept Quiet

May 1, 2013 5:00am
ap barack obama presser ll 130430 wblog Obama Administration Denies Benghazi Whistleblowers Being Kept Quiet

Pablo Martinez Monsivais/AP Photo

More than seven months after the attack Sept. 11, 2012, on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, the Obama administration continues to defend itself against allegations from House Republicans that the administration has not fully cooperated with Congress on the investigation into the attack.

On Tuesday, both President Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry addressed claims being made by House Oversight and Foreign Affairs Committee leaders that the administration is impeding the Congressional testimony of State Department and CIA employees who survived the attack.

“I’m not familiar with this notion that anybody’s been blocked from testifying,” said the president. “What I’ve been very clear about from the start is that our job with respect to Benghazi has been to find out exactly what happened, to make sure that U.S. embassies, not just in the Middle East but around the world, are safe and secure and to bring those who carried it out to justice.”

Speaking to reporters following a meeting with the Spanish foreign minister  at the State Department on Tuesday, Kerry  said “there’s an enormous amount of misinformation out there” about Benghazi. He referenced his testimony before the House two weeks ago, when he  told members that the State Department would work closely with Congress to clear up any lingering questions about the attacks so that everyone could move on and begin focusing on other pressing global issues.

“I do not want to spend the next year coming up here talking about Benghazi,” Kerry said.

He also promised to assign someone from his staff specifically to work with Congress to answer all remaining questions.

On Tuesday, Kerry confirmed that he has tasked his chief of staff, David Wade, with working “openly and accountably” with House GOP members on Benghazi issues. But he also expressed some exasperation about the politics of the continued debate.

“We have to de-mythologize this issue and certainly depoliticize it,” said Kerry. “The American people deserve answers. I’m determined that this will be an accountable and open State Department, as it has been in the past. And we will continue to do that, and we will provide answers.”

At the State Department briefing on Tuesday, spokesman Patrick Ventrell went further, denying GOP House members’ allegations that the State Department is trying to stop whistleblowers in the department from talking.

“Let me be very clear: The State Department is deeply committed to meeting its obligation to protect employees, and the State Department would never tolerate or sanction retaliation against whistleblowers on any issue, including this one. That’s an obligation we take very seriously, full stop,” said Ventrell. “The department regularly sends notices, as we do to our entire staff, to employees advising of their right to federal whistleblower protections.”

Ventrell said the State Department sent a “routine” update just last week advising department staff of their whistleblower protections.

He also flatly denied the claims that State Department employees who were survivors of the attack have requested security clearance for private attorneys because the administration is trying to block them from talking to Congress or the public.

“We’re not aware of any employees who have requested … security clearances for private attorneys in connection with Benghazi,” said Ventrell. In the event of such requests, the department has a security clearance process in place under which clearances can be provided to private attorneys who are representing individual employees of this building.”

But Victoria Toensing, a lawyer for one of the State Department employees who witnessed the attack and is seeking to share the story fully with Congressional investigators, says the department is not being entirely truthful. Toensing maintains that asking employees, who are acting as whistleblowers, to go come forward, identify themselves and then inform the State Department that they are seeking council before they have representation leaves them vulnerable to intimidation and retribution.

“These people want their own lawyers,” Toensing tells ABC News. “They shouldn’t have to go in to their employer  what I call ‘naked’, without an attorney.”

On April 16th, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, sent a letter to State Department lawyers asking for guidance on the process to have private attorney’s cleared, but Toensing says he never received an answer.  As a result ten days later Issa sent another letter, this time to Secretary Kerry, detailing the various ways he said the State Department has “attempted to impede or otherwise delay the committee’s investigation”

Issa specifically highlighted restrictions the department put on members reviewing classified and unclassified documents, allowing them only to review them while being monitored in a room that houses classified documents, not allowing members to photocopy or examine documents in a lengthy fashion.

“Notwithstanding the fact that the committee has both the right and the capability to review and possess classified information, I note that approximately 80 percent of the documents in question are unclassified and marked identically to documents routinely sent to the committee without the same restrictions placed upon them,” Issa wrote in the letter.

The congressman also accused the State Department of purposefully restricting access to witnesses of the attack for the Congressional investigation.

Toensing, a former Chief Council for the Senate Intelligence Committee who also served in the Department of Justice under the Reagan administration, says  she is still waiting for the State Department to provide her with what she needs to do to be cleared to represent her client. She says that her client faced pressure and threats from the department during the initial Benghazi  Congressional hearings and subsequent investigation, which is why she and other lawyers  have taken the cases of both State and CIA employees who want to talk, pro-bono.

She says she and other lawyers  are not asking that their clients be free to divulge classified information to the general public or media, but to speak fully with Congressional investigators. Toensing says being blocked from doing so is tantamount to obstructing justice.

“By not clearing lawyers they have made it so that clients cannot give lawyers the full story,” she says.

Toensing, who represented New York Times reporter Judith Miller and Time’s Matt Cooper in the Valerie Plame case, says she’s “a lawyer before… a Republican”  and that her involvement in the on-going controversy over the Benghazi attack is not driven by partisanship, but on what she thinks is right.

“Why can the Boston bomber get a team of defenders right away, and I agree with him getting that, he should, that’s our system; but a career public servant, who’s wants to represent government employees can’t be cleared three weeks later ?,” she says. ” I just want to be able to represent my client fully”

SHOWS:

User Comments

This guy hasn’t got a clue. George Bush was terrible. I won’t Obama is worst… yeah, I will. He stinks. Greatest country on earth? Hardly.

Posted by: Mitch | May 1, 2013, 6:43 am 6:43 am

If you believe this, please contact me immediately! I have a bridge in I can sell you for less than $100.

More BS from the King of BS.

Posted by: Pappy Childs | May 1, 2013, 6:52 am 6:52 am

This propaganda piece fails to mention the name of the attorney who’s client has been threatened by the Obama administration. Wonder why?
Every issue that Obama gets involved in, it becomes clear just how terrible of a president he truly is. Our fault, we were told of his lack of experience and his Chicago thug ways.
Obama – worst president this country has ever had.

Posted by: dd 23 | May 1, 2013, 7:01 am 7:01 am

I don’t think Obama is a “thug” in any way. He is very refined, elegant and educated. He is just a terrible, terrible president who has made America much weaker, especially abroad. He congratulates a homosexual basketball player who comes out AFTER his career is over, and after stringing a young woman along for EIGHT years and tells him he’s “proud” of him. Americans get spit on in some countries… this guy is simply doing a terrible job.

Posted by: MaryM | May 1, 2013, 7:11 am 7:11 am

So many empty words said just to get elected. Most transparent, is just one of the lies said.

Recall election now.

Posted by: Duke | May 1, 2013, 7:14 am 7:14 am

We have this with witnesses being told to keep quiet and actual paper with Hildebeast’s signature on it denying request for more security. Anyone else see a trend here? While the blood on Clinton’s hands remains soak and wet from four dead American heros, she has so much more to answer to while libs celebrate the supposed great job she did and get all excited about her run in 2016. Don’t get too excited morons!

Posted by: Gunner__59 | May 1, 2013, 7:18 am 7:18 am

So Obama pledges to look into this… Is this the same as pledging to close Gitmo, hold Wall Street accountable, cut the deficit in half, not taxing families one additional dime, lowering healthcare costs, being able to keep my healthcare insurance? If it is that kind of pledge, well, we know the end result. It is just a lie and a failure of Obama.

Posted by: Hugh | May 1, 2013, 7:25 am 7:25 am

The whistle blower claim is coming from the lawyer, thus far only the lawyer has called them whistle blowers.

Posted by: MadMadder | May 1, 2013, 8:17 am 8:17 am

To Dana Hughes, your bias is so painfully obvious it should embarrass you. Way to defend the Freedom (And power) of the Press and seek the truth for America. I guess we’ll just have to wait for a GOP leader to be in the WH before you obtain some integrity.

Posted by: Chris Sorensen | May 1, 2013, 8:25 am 8:25 am

CHRIS SORENSEN—Did you watch the press conference? It was a slow motion train wreck.

Posted by: Kenneth | May 1, 2013, 8:34 am 8:34 am

He’s not aware of it? Hardly.

Posted by: newcountryman | May 1, 2013, 9:02 am 9:02 am

Fox is in charge of hen house. He breaks the laws of the nation and then tells us he will look into it. He has mutiple alias’ and mutilple SS#’s, he is a con man plain and simple.

If this guy were the CEO of a private company with his issues, he would be arrested.

Posted by: Mark | May 1, 2013, 9:04 am 9:04 am

This is a pretty significant and big story ABC. Yet, you fail to have it on your homepage. I view abc to be about the same as Baghdad Bob. Remember him??? Protect dear leader at all costs.

Posted by: dd23 | May 1, 2013, 9:19 am 9:19 am

Unfortunately Mr President, the record of what you say being true – about things like this – is not too high. Was it really the video that cause the Bengazi post to be attacked – as purported by you, Ms Clinton, and Susan Rice over and over and over?

Posted by: deanbob | May 1, 2013, 9:24 am 9:24 am

I said yesterday in another story that the mainstream does not report anything further on this story. Obama does not want to hurt Hillary’s chance to rub next term so they have buried this murder story.

Posted by: Jimmy | May 1, 2013, 10:00 am 10:00 am

Please don’t be angry with ABC about their bias. Any time they can poke a conservative in the eye they will. They enjoy the frustration. Imagine any other enterprise puposely alienating half their potential customers.

Posted by: jwilpar | May 1, 2013, 10:05 am 10:05 am

If their not being threatened then why are they afraid and have not yet been allowed to testify? Sick of the lies and coverups by this administration and the news media…

Posted by: Freedom | May 1, 2013, 10:21 am 10:21 am

Tuesday, Kerry said “there’s an enormous amount of misinformation out there” about Benghazi.

Yes there is Mr. Kerry, and Obama keeps piling more “misinformation” (lies) on.

Posted by: wheresmymoney | May 1, 2013, 10:28 am 10:28 am

I honestly didn’t think I’d care for John Kerry as Secretary of State…But the more he ruffles Obama’s feathers with the truth (Boston and Benghazi), the more I appreciate him.

Posted by: robert | May 1, 2013, 10:49 am 10:49 am

The Emperor is wearing no clothes! This is the biggest cover-up since Watergate as the Administration was caught sitting on their hands!

Posted by: Common _ Sense | May 1, 2013, 11:13 am 11:13 am

And you ABC of course swallow everything ob@ma offers……

Posted by: rajsonja | May 1, 2013, 12:00 pm 12:00 pm

Robert, no one died in Watergate.

Posted by: rajsonja | May 1, 2013, 12:00 pm 12:00 pm

Wow, All Barack Channel news story and 99 percent of the published comments are negative about the liar and thief in the white house. Just imagine how ABC news rating would explode if they had one credible investigative reporter?
Not one “reporter” worth a grain of salt, they are just parrots of the news blather that is issued for them to read each day. Idiots? That’s too easy a term for the lying enablers of this scam, AKA obama.

Posted by: yard boss | May 1, 2013, 12:15 pm 12:15 pm

And now that you DO know, obama, just what are you going to do about it???

The American people expect you to now ensure that these survivors/witnessess be allowed to come forward to tell their stories freely and openly without fear of repercussions from those in your administration that saw fit to threaten them without (ahem!) your knowledge.

Surely, these people, who have been put through hell, can count on you to do the right thing and take the appropriate actions against the people who threatened them. The American president should not have goons working for him, correct? Also, in the name of transparency (I know that is your thing), you should release those names of said goons and what corrective actions you took against them.

The American people are watching and waiting…

Remember Benghazi!

Posted by: ceeleelee | May 1, 2013, 12:16 pm 12:16 pm

““I do not want to spend the next year coming up here talking about Benghazi,” Kerry said.”
So Kerry wants this to go away? I would bet the families of the four killed would rather the story was actually brought to the attention of congress and the American people for justice to finally be done.
Obama and Hillary are directly responsible for these deaths. They refused to allow military support that we now find out was available. Blood on their hands, guilty as sin. And Kerry the newest idiot does not want to be bothered with this.

Posted by: yard boss | May 1, 2013, 12:41 pm 12:41 pm

King Putt said:’”I’m not familiar with this notion that anybody’s been blocked from testifying,”
.
Maybe someone should consider putting a newspaper (any newspaper) on the seat of his golf cart so this clown could actually read about what is going on in the real world, versus the progressive fantasy world that he and his handlers live in.

Posted by: michelle shu jas | May 1, 2013, 12:55 pm 12:55 pm

How nice of ABC to BURY this story in “National Security”. How about placing it where people will actually SEE it?

Posted by: wheresmymoney | May 1, 2013, 1:04 pm 1:04 pm

So many people – who know so very little – acting like they know so very much. Welcome to the right wing of America.

Posted by: Gisha 6 | May 1, 2013, 1:19 pm 1:19 pm

“Welcome to the right wing of America.”

… and when you, obviously an low-information voter, are actually able to produce a fact, you will be welcomed to Right Wing America, too.

Forward!

Remember Benhazi!!!

Posted by: ceeleelee | May 1, 2013, 1:26 pm 1:26 pm

… and when you, obviously an low-information voter, are actually able to produce a fact, you will be welcomed to Right Wing America, too.

Posted by: ceeleelee | May 1, 2013, 1:26 pm 1:26 pm

Once again, no facts from the right wing, just more psycho-babble.

Posted by: Gisha 6 | May 1, 2013, 1:30 pm 1:30 pm

‘Dat you. Janna/Dan???

Lol.

Remember Benghazi!

Posted by: ceeleelee | May 1, 2013, 1:31 pm 1:31 pm

‘Dat you. Janna/Dan???

Lol.

Posted by: ceeleelee | May 1, 2013, 1:31 pm 1:31 pm

More right wing psycho-babble.

Posted by: Gisha 6 | May 1, 2013, 1:38 pm 1:38 pm

Dana, it’s “seeking counsel”, not “council”. Two different words.

Posted by: Matt | May 1, 2013, 1:45 pm 1:45 pm

So many people – who know so very little – acting like they know so very much. Welcome to the right wing of America.
Posted by: Gisha 6 | May 1, 2013, 1:19 pm 1:19 pm

One man – who knows so very much – acting like he knows so very little. Welcome to ObamAmerika.

Posted by: wheresmymoney | May 1, 2013, 2:10 pm 2:10 pm

Welcome to ObamAmerika.

Posted by: wheresmymoney | May 1, 2013, 2:10 pm 2:10 pm

More psycho-babble from the right wing in America.

Posted by: Gisha 6 | May 1, 2013, 2:20 pm 2:20 pm

Leave a Reply

Do you have more information about this topic? If so, please click here to contact the editors of ABC News.