Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus: 5 Most Talked About Moments from the VMAs
The MTV Video Music Awards are typically one of the most talked-about awards shows on television, and this year's ceremony didn't disappoint.
If you missed the two-hour show, here are five of the biggest moments that your coworkers are sure to be chatting about around the water cooler.
1. Beyoncé Brings Down the House: Before accepting her Video Vanguard Award, Beyoncé performed an astounding medley of songs from her new album, all while shimmying and shaking in a brightly-colored leotard. Afterward, her husband Jay Z took the stage with their daughter Blue in his arms, and presented the award to the singer, who promptly broke down in tears.
2. Taylor Swift Rings In a New Era: With her first official pop album set to drop in just a few weeks, Taylor Swift is wholeheartedly embracing a new sound. At the VMAs, the singer, clad in a shimmering silver ensemble, completed her first live performance of her catchy new song, "Shake It Off," which she debuted earlier this week.
3. Sam Smith Deliver an Emotional Performance: There were many performances during the VMAs, but none tugged on viewers' heartstrings as much as Sam Smith's emotional rendition of his song, "Stay With Me."
4. Miley Cyrus Raises Awareness: When Miley Cyrus won the award for Video of the Year, some may have expected her to do something surprising. She did - in the best way. Instead of taking the stage, Cyrus sent a young man named Jesse in her place. Jesse opened up about his experience living on the streets of Los Angeles and encouraged viewers to visit Cyrus's Facebook to learn more about what they could do to help.
5. Nicki Minaj's Busy Night: Before joining Jessie J. and Ariana Grande on stage for "Bang Bang" (and nearly suffering a wardrobe malfunction during the number!), Minaj did a provocative dance to her new song "Anaconda." However, two songs weren't enough for the rapper, who also joined Usher later for his song, "She Came To Give It To You."