Clinton Says No to Cheney’s Advice That She Challenge Obama in 2012
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said this morning that she won’t take former Vice President Dick Cheney’s advice, which he offered this week during an interview with ABC News’ Jonathan Karl , that she challenge President Obama for the Democratic Party’s nomination in 2012.
“Oh … it’s below zero,” Clinton said when asked by CNN during an interview on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange what the chances were that she’d pursue the presidency again.
“One of the great things about being secretary of state is I am out of politics. I am not interested in being drawn back into it by anybody. I have a big job to do, and I’m honored to do it every day representing our country,” she said when pressed again about Cheney’s encouraging remarks.
“So far, she hasn’t said she would, but I think it’s not a bad idea,” Cheney told ABC News in an interview to promote his new book, “In My Time.”
The former VP has criticized many officials that he served with in the Bush administration, including Clinton’s predecessor, Condoleezza Rice, but said he believes Clinton is doing a good job as America’s top diplomat.
“I think she’s probably the most competent person they’ve got in their cabinet, said Cheney about Clinton. “And frankly, I thought she was gonna win the nomination last time around. Maybe if the Obama record is bad enough and these days it’s not very good, given the shape of the economy, maybe there will be enough ferment in the Democratic Party so that there will be a primary on their side.”
But Clinton says count her out.
“I think I’m going to stay focused on doing what I can to make sure that we continue to lead the world,” she said. ”And there’s a lot of tough decisions we have to make at home in order for us to be positioned to demonstrate the kind of leadership that I think is in our best interest,” Clinton told CNN Wednesday.