Selena Gomez is the Disney teen queen with a hit show, chart-topping singles and a high-profile romance with Justin Bieber. But now the 19-year-old singer-actress says she is living in what she described to the court as “extreme fear,” after receiving a death threat from a 46-year-old man.
That man, Thomas Brodnicki, must now stay 100 yards away from Gomez and her workplace after the singer was granted a restraining order against him Thursday by a judge in Burbank, Calif.
Court filings say that state police were notified by mental health workers that Brodnicki had threatened to harm or kill the actress while on a psychiatric hold.
According to legal documents, Brodnicki, who has a history of mental illness and a criminal record, told a psychiatrist he, “had conversations with God and entertained thoughts of killing Ms. Gomez.”
He also told the psychiatrist that he traveled to Los Angeles to meet the star and visited her workplace at least three times.
Gomez said in court filings that she does not know Brodnicki but had been told that he traveled from Chicago to Los Angeles to meet her. She filed a request for the restraining order, Oct. 13 in Los Angeles Superior Court.
Brodnicki has a history of stalking women. He was sentenced to three years in prison for cyberstalking a woman he was infatuated with and pursued for eight years, according to police.
The temporary restraining order against Brodnicki could be extended to last three more years in a hearing set for Nov. 4.
The “Wizards of Waverly Place” star is scheduled to host the MTV European Music Awards on Nov. 6, 2011.