Gunman surrenders after standoff with cops in Philadelphia

The suspect, Maurice Hill, 34, is accused of wounding six police officers before barricading himself in a building with several hostages.
2:27 | 08/15/19

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:



Skip to this video now

Now Playing:


Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Gunman surrenders after standoff with cops in Philadelphia
First, we have that breaking news from overnight. That dramatic standoff in Philadelphia finally coming to an end after more than seven hours. Six police officers shot before the gunman was taken into custody. Gio Benitez is on the scene in Philadelphia this morning with the very latest. Good morning, gio. Reporter: Hey, David. Good morning. Yeah, just an incredible, scary situation for both residents and officers. Take a look behind me because you can see those evidence markers on the ground. That's because more than 100 bullets were fired here. Residents jumping fences just to get away from all that gunfire. Overnight, a dramatic surrender. A raging gunman turning himself in to police. Maurice hill taken into custody bringing a violent, seven-hour tense standoff to an end in Philadelphia. Give me S.W.A.T., say SAP. Long guns, asap. I got officers shot. Reporter: His surrender comes after gunfire rained down on police for hours. Gunshots hitting six officers. Bullets ricochetted off the sidewalk and nearby homes. Officers crawling and crouching to avoid getting hit. The shootout started while officers were serving hill with a narcotics ward. We have an officer shot, and they're still being shot at. Reporter: The situation quickly escalating when hill, armed with multiple firearms, barricaded himself inside a home holding two police officers hostage. The guy's still in the stairwell. Reporter: Police rushing their brothers away from the barrage of bullets. One hit in the leg, the other in crowds of officers surrounding the home on all sides. Cars filling the streets. The nearby university of temple campus on lockdown. I heard so many gunshots. Reporter: Several hours after the standoff began, remarkably all of the officers were transported to the hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries. It's a miracle that we don't have multiple officers killed today. Reporter: After the hostages were released, the gunman who phoned his attorney, Chaka Johnson, finally agreeing to speak with negotiators and hours later, surrendering. And we're told this morning that all of those injured officers are going to make a full recovery. Again, nonlife-threatening injuries which is just incredible, robin, when you think about how many shots were fired here. Oh my goodness. But we are grateful they are going to recover. All right, gio. Thank you.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"2:27","description":"The suspect, Maurice Hill, 34, is accused of wounding six police officers before barricading himself in a building with several hostages.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"64987651","title":"Gunman surrenders after standoff with cops in Philadelphia","url":"/GMA/News/video/gunman-surrenders-standoff-cops-philadelphia-64987651"}