Alabama man shocked while attempting to save drowning father

Lucas McGrady was sent to a hospital after suffering an electrical shock in a pool while trying to save his father who was unresponsive and later died.
3:00 | 05/21/17

Coming up in the next {{countdown}} {{countdownlbl}}

Coming up next:

{{nextVideo.title}}

{{nextVideo.description}}

Skip to this video now

Now Playing:

{{currentVideo.title}}

Comments
Related Extras
Related Videos
Video Transcript
Transcript for Alabama man shocked while attempting to save drowning father
We start this half hour with a hidden pool danger being blamed for a family tragedy. A son jumped in trying to save his father and nearly lost his own life. Phillip Mena has more. Reporter: Paula, Dan, good morning. It's that time of year. Many of us are starting to hit the pool. There's a hidden, sometimes deadly danger, we don't often consider. A 60-year-old male druning. Reporter: This morning, a man in critical condition after trying to save his drowning 60-year-old father in an Alabama pool. The son was trying to get the victim out of the pool and the pool was electrocute LG him. Reporter: An electrical shock pulsing will you the son's veins. Landing him in the hospital. His father, Carl Mcgrady, did not survive. The older male was in the pool. The son jumped in to assist him. Reporter: According to the most recent cpsc report, 14 people have died from electrical shocks in pools over an 11-year span. With summer just a few weeks away, the rirvegs of electrical currents in pools now on the forefront of many parents' minds. Electrical issues are caused by wiring that's shorted out. Or corrosion. Reporter: In 2014, surveillance video capturing this moment when a girl kuched a metal rail in a Florida pool, instantly going limp. As you can see here, the man tries to help her. He's zapped, too, before yanking the girl out of the water. The girl did survive. There are a few tips. You reach to the person without having to enter the water. If not can you throw something to them and pull them back in? Reporter: Experts say the best way to protect yourself from shock is to get an inspection at least once a year. And make sure it's done by a certified pool contractor. Dan? Paula? Really scary. Great advise, thank you, Phillip. A danger you can't see. Before you enter the pool. Absolutely. That video of the the father grabbing the child out of the pool very, very scary.

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

{"duration":"3:00","description":"Lucas McGrady was sent to a hospital after suffering an electrical shock in a pool while trying to save his father who was unresponsive and later died.","mediaType":"default","section":"ABCNews/GMA","id":"47541641","title":"Alabama man shocked while attempting to save drowning father","url":"/GMA/video/alabama-man-shocked-attempting-save-drowning-father-47541641"}