Transcript for Two unrelated cases of people killed by electrical currents in the water
With all the temperatures outside, we want to turn to an invisible danger in the water. People killed by electrical currents. Here's Adrienne Bankert. Reporter: Tonight, a new Jersey family mourning the loss of their 11-year-old daughter. Female electrocuted, unconscious. Breathing. Reporter: The child and two friends were on an inflatable raft in a lagoon when two of them touched a metal rail that sent an electric shock. The 11-year-old, dying at the hospital. Her friends not hurt. This comes just one day after the sudden death of a 19-year-old from Ohio, electrocuted after he jumped into the water near a boat dock to save the family dog. We don't want anybody swimming in a marina around a dock where there could be electric service to that dock. Reporter: It is called electric shock drowning, usually caused by a short in the wiring of a dock, marina or boat charging the water. Pools can be just as dangerous. These children in Florida, touching the metal rail. This girl instantly goes limp. The man helping her, also shocked. All survived. Several states now calling for changes including circuit breakers near the water, and for electrical outlets that shut down when there's a short or overload. There are also products that provide a shock alarm when there's electricity in the water. Experts also say you should inspect the electrical equipment at docks, boats and marinas at least once a year. Cecilia? Adrienne, thank you.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.